. .
    I was just thinking about firing up my control box to do some testing as it's nearly complete but I found a hole in my knowledge...

I know that you shouldn't plug in or unplug steppers while the system is powered up and running but I don't know if it's safe to run a drive (I'm using AM882's) without having a stepper attached. In other words sending it pulse and dir signals with nothing connected to the output.

I'll probably end up wiring up all four steppers anyway as I want to make sure the slaving works but I'm interested to know anyway.

Cheers :-)

You can run drives with or without steppers, connecting or disconnecting whilst power is on can cause voltage & current spikes which may damage the drive.
    I fit an unwired blanking plug when my 4th is not in use,

- Nick

3. The Following User Says Thank You to magicniner For This Useful Post:

Thanks, I guessed that was probably the case but I thought it best to ask before powering up a couple of hundred quids worth of drives.

Quote Originally Posted by Wobblycogs View Post
    I was just thinking about firing up my control box to do some testing as it's nearly complete but I found a hole in my knowledge...

I know that you shouldn't plug in or unplug steppers while the system is powered up and running but I don't know if it's safe to run a drive (I'm using AM882's) without having a stepper attached. In other words sending it pulse and dir signals with nothing connected to the output.

I'll probably end up wiring up all four steppers anyway as I want to make sure the slaving works but I'm interested to know anyway.

Cheers :-)
    There is no problem having drives powered up with no motors attached as you have said don't connect or disconnect with the drive powered up. ..Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Wobblycogs View Post
    I was just thinking about firing up my control box to do some testing as it's nearly complete . . .
    Let the good times roll
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Cheers Eddy, I was up at an eye watering 3am working on it this morning and I'm keen to get it powered on with the BOB in something other than test mode. I've got a couple of little bits of wiring still to do (the alarm for the drives). The only job of note is wiring up the VFD but I've got to have a read of the manual before I do that. This part of the build has been more involved that I expected but it's been very enjoyable experience.

Thread Information