. .
    This is my first post so hello every one

Well I'll start with saying i have no milling ,cncing experience, i am a total newbie so be kind lol.

I have just bought a emco f1 and wish to convert so that I will be able to use Mach 3

Can any one recommend any kits uk based please

Not going to do much detailed work just mainly boring Motorbike crank casings and throttle body's to start with

Are the ones on DIY CNC electronic kit & mechanical products any good

Quote Originally Posted by Ecu-master View Post
    Roy's stuff is Ok-ish but there are better. Often your better not buying Kit's and buying separate components more suited to your needs.

Now at the moment we don't exactly know your needs are because you haven't converted the mill.!! . . . For instance if the mill as Acme lead screws it will require more motor power than a Mill using ballscrews because Lead screw is much less efficient. Larger motors require larger Amp drives which in turn need more volts so larger PSU.
    This is one down sides with Roy's stuff as it's relatively low powered and basic anolog drive technolgy. These days Digital drives are much better giving better performance and allowing much more refinement in setup thru software. This can really help with resonance and other side affects that can come from the machine and affect drives.

Often ballscrews are used because of the fact they are much more efficient and have nearly zero backlash but often there is more work involved with converting taking this route but it's worth the effort in long run. Just for reducing backlash they are worth the trouble but the fact they give smoother operation and allow more power make it worth doing.

So before buying I'd look at the machine and decide how far you want to take it regards lead screws etc. Then you'll have a better idea of what to buy for motors/drives etc. Stay away from Ebay kits or kits with small sized PSU's like 24-36Vdc as chances are you'll be needing drives and motors running in the 45Vdc + range.

If you want a easy to setup package that use's Digital drives that give a good range of Amp's and volts combines Breakout board and spindle speed control in one neat unit then take a look at this. MX3660 - 3-Axis DSP Based Digital Stepper Drive Max 60 VDC / 6.0A
    Just add PSU and motors and your ready to go. Chances are 3Nm Nema 23 motors run at 48Vdc will do every thing you need.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 30-03-2014 at 07:28 PM.

Thank for the info
    This machine is over 30 years old so would guess it is using Acme lead screws
    What do I have to do to change to ball screws

Just had a quick check and believe it is one ball screws so what next do I need to do

Thread Information