. .

Thread: Website idea.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I don't agree with the decision to remove the ability to reply to threads in the RFQ section, as it was useful to be able to openly point out and discuss aspects of the design.

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    suitable impartial moderation would be required for such a scenario to work
    Alas, the moderators were disbanded 6 months ago.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Sorry its taken so long for me to put a reply on this, having Internet issues, it seems Sky have sorted it out at last.

It looks like there are mixed feelings on this so im going to give it a try. I am by no means a professional web developer so it may take time.

If the site takes a cut it will have some level of responsibility (whether it wants it or not) for ensuring the competence of it's registered "manufacturers", you'll need some serious commercial insurance in the event that a part sourced through the site fails and the customer sees it as a better bet to sue you than a hobbyist working out of a shed at a rented address.
    A disclaimer will not stop someone taking out proceedings against you which could cost you your house before things get anywhere near a courtroom, a Limited Company is no longer good protection as direct action in person against directors and officers of a company is now commonplace,
    JMTP,
    - Nick
    I hadnt thought of that, so I think I will go with a free listing service, and try to make it quite clear that the site has no affiliations with its users, and that its there purely to advertise jobs to a select group of subscribers.

With regard to driving prices down, from a manufacturers point of view it could make a machine busy and make a small profit, instead of one laying idle. I wouldn't recommend it as a businesses main way of getting jobs, but could be quite handy to fill in any empty gaps. From a customers point of view, they will get a selection of prices from varying machinists, they are under no obligation to accept the cheapest one, or indeed any at all. And only by reading the profiles and reviews will you know what to expect.

Keep the comments coming, its interesting and useful to hear impartial comments.

Regards.
    Qwertyjon

It is alleged by both customers and "Rated/Trusted People/Traders" that such sites are removing poor feedback for traders who are generating good income for said site - no surprises there ;-)
    Thats new to me. I can assure anyone that it wont be the case on mine. Im not looking to make anything from the site, so I would rather have accurate fedback and let the customers make their own decisions about who to choose.

Regards.
    Qwertyjon

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyjon View Post
    And only by reading the profiles and reviews will you know what to expect.
    You could help suppress the myth about quality always reflecting price by including a section specifically for people to upload portfolios of their work, including prices for each piece if they wish.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    You could help suppress the myth about quality always reflecting price by including a section specifically for people to upload portfolios of their work, including prices for each piece if they wish.
    I like that idea. Thanks.

A fair point, but there were some "Total and Utter Chuffs" that would slag off other members for the prices they quoted without considering that a quoted price is, in english law, an "Invitation to Treat" and as such easily ignored or refused. All this without considering that some other members have commercial or other overheads to meet whilst some are operating for fun from a shed or basement.
    I'd prefer an open RFQ section with any such arse cutting up funny being offered a suitable break from forum access, suitable impartial moderation would be required for such a scenario to work,
    ATB,
    Nick
    I wasn't around to see what went on before, but I'm pretty disappointed that I can't get open quotes and discussion in that section. There's lot's of bits and bobs that I would make if the price was right, and that seems like the appropriate forum to discuss eg how to design parts for manufacture.

I personally think the rfq section should have stayed open, the benefits are a Poster could put up a request but overlook or be unsure about certain aspects of the parts required.,it generates debate and a better solution can arise from it like has been the case for me in the past.
    the more sensitive folks could still pm their quotes and advice if they chose.
    Last edited by dazza; 11-07-2014 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deisel View Post
    I personally think the rfq section should have stayed open
    That would have been a sensible option, one request for 3-Axis milling work had internal corner radii of .5mm in a fairly deep pocket, but only after my effort to steer the requester as his drawing initially required square internal corners in a 3-Axis job ;-)

I've just looked at the RFQ section again and I think there's scope for a Request For Help With Requests For Quote section where no quotes are allowed but the requester might be helped to hone their request to the point where it makes sense/is possible/contains enough of a specification for a quote.
    I've tried helping by PM but to no avail and have now given up :-(

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information