. .

Thread: Website idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I've had an idea for a website, it's essentially a reverse auction where 'customers' can list a machining job, then 'manufacturers' can bid for the job.

The 'customers' would be:
    Businesses - prototyping, small run of items, excess work, etc...
    Individuals - who want parts made for something, diy, projects etc...

The 'manufacturers' could be a business with spare machine capacity, or home cnc'ers, garage machinists etc...

The site would have to take a small cut in the way of fees to cover its costs and could have an ebay style feedback system.

Please bear in mind that this is very much in the idea stage at the moment. So does anyone think there would be a demand for this? Please feel free to shoot me down if you think it would be a waste of time persuing.

Regards

Qwertyjon
    Last edited by qwertyjon; 02-04-2014 at 07:16 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    That first site is what gave me the idea.

That's not a good idea really, as it would only drive prices DOWN and only the lowest bid would get the job. But at what quality and time. Coming from years working in the building trade (chippy) more than often low prices just lead to poor quality work and then the customer is unhappy and has to pay again for the work to be done right, cowboy builders ermmm next it will be cowboy CNC's LOL

You can get quotes for jobs already at Manufacturing and Industry Sales Lead Index
    Last edited by longy; 02-04-2014 at 08:00 PM. Reason: link

I think you should give it a go and see how it goes, you'd definitely get a lot of interest from those wanting a cheap job and only trying it out will show what level of interest you get from what kinds of manufacturers.
    If the site takes a cut it will have some level of responsibility (whether it wants it or not) for ensuring the competence of it's registered "manufacturers", you'll need some serious commercial insurance in the event that a part sourced through the site fails and the customer sees it as a better bet to sue you than a hobbyist working out of a shed at a rented address.
    A disclaimer will not stop someone taking out proceedings against you which could cost you your house before things get anywhere near a courtroom, a Limited Company is no longer good protection as direct action in person against directors and officers of a company is now commonplace,
    JMTP,
    - Nick

Quote Originally Posted by longy View Post
    That's not a good idea really, as it would only drive prices DOWN and only the lowest bid would get the job. But at what quality and time. Coming from years working in the building trade (chippy) more than often low prices just lead to poor quality work and then the customer is unhappy and has to pay again for the work to be done right, cowboy builders ermmm next it will be cowboy CNC's LOL
    You could have a review or rating system like on similar websites. Nobody will then use the companies who produce poor quality work - regardless of price.
    Last edited by Gunny; 04-04-2014 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    You could have a review or rating system like on similar websites. Nobody will then use the companies who produce poor quality work - regardless of price.
    It is alleged by both customers and "Rated/Trusted People/Traders" that such sites are removing poor feedback for traders who are generating good income for said site - no surprises there ;-)

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    On here used to be reasonable ok, until Lee stopped the ability to reply to RFQ threads.

I used to look at the RFQs, and although I couldn't personally do them, I would suggest improvements to the person doing the requesting for alterations that would make then easier to do. Since I can't do that now, I just don't bother looking.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    On here used to be reasonable ok, until Lee stopped the ability to reply to RFQ threads.

I used to look at the RFQs, and although I couldn't personally do them, I would suggest improvements to the person doing the requesting for alterations that would make then easier to do. Since I can't do that now, I just don't bother looking.
    A fair point, but there were some "Total and Utter Chuffs" that would slag off other members for the prices they quoted without considering that a quoted price is, in english law, an "Invitation to Treat" and as such easily ignored or refused. All this without considering that some other members have commercial or other overheads to meet whilst some are operating for fun from a shed or basement.
    I'd prefer an open RFQ section with any such arse cutting up funny being offered a suitable break from forum access, suitable impartial moderation would be required for such a scenario to work,
    ATB,
    Nick

hi

I've had an idea for a website, it's essentially a reverse auction where 'customers' can list a machining job, then 'manufacturers' can bid for the job.

eerrr stuff that, a price is a price,

Then you would have the difficulty of distinguishing between the guys who have high end machines, oppose to ebay specials

perhaps the best idea for and RFQ section would be to say only proper registered business can quote, then have a subsection for smaller jobs that any forum member can quote on. Thus, giving the buyer, both options, and the clear option to choose between. It does not make sense to have hobbyist bidding against professionals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information