. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. I tend to agree with Gerry on this. I use VCarve Pro, Cut3D, PhotoVCarve, and CamBam. Why all of them? Well the vectric family are all able to be imported into VCarve Pro and Cut3D allows for multi-side model work (remember to set indexing points). What Vectric does not allow is discrete 3D milling within a model (individual pockets of a model that have complex 2.5D/3D components). Here is where CamBam shines and once the MOP's are set up it is extremely easy to get a model imported and set up for milling.

All CAM software is give and takes and my best suggestion is looking at what they are used for heavily. Vectric product line is heavily used in the sign making, furniture, and cabinet making industries (though there are folks making musical instruments with it as well). As such it tends to be a rather simplified path for code generation and you need to learn the different sub paths to understand their functions. DeskProto is heavily geared towards rapid prototyping of 3D models with a strong leaning towards non-engineering shapes. CamBam also tends toward non-engineering models BUT has the structure within it to be very engineering model useful, it's major draw back is you must take the time to learn how to set up you cutting parameters and understand you material and tooling. Their are others and some are not worth mentioning as their cost versus value makes it a non issue.

On the sign issue that was listed by JAZZ, VCarve pro with Cut3D would do the whole things and allow you to export as a single code. The draw back is about 20 hours worth of learning to get to where you can do it and do it well plus setting up the tool bins properly. Clients of mine always hate being told that they need to learn their tools. The only thing that keeps me from being buried in setting up tool bins for them is the rate I charge for doing just that.

Good Luck Eddy and seriously look at what your main uses are going to be and that often more than one tool (program) maybe need to get the job done. -Michael
    Software SolidWorks 2024, Onshape, Aspire v9.5, Blender
    CNC Machine: http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/3661-...Second-machine
    3D printers both FDM/FFD and MSLA resin
    CSWA &CSWA-AM certified
    www.marino-customs.com

VCarvePro and Cut3D were going to be my number one choice until I added the cost, £666 (ring any bells ?) with VAT added, it's just too much money but I agree it would do my jobs.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

3. Including VAT yeah that is correct buying direct from them. I am VAT registered so it does not bother me. Unfortunately it is one of the costs of of CNC is that most the good CAM can get rather pricey. Vectric on the whole is much much cheaper than anyone near them in quality of product out put and time needed in set up and learning input. I have tried a good many different forms of CAM and they work at a reasonable price and good code. The next option in price down is CamBam and learn all the MOP's and set them up. The other issue with CamBam is it does not allow shaped end mills which VCare Pro does (though for many that is a non issues). Best of luck and there are good forums for both to help you get the most out of the software. -Michael
    Software SolidWorks 2024, Onshape, Aspire v9.5, Blender
    CNC Machine: http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/3661-...Second-machine
    3D printers both FDM/FFD and MSLA resin
    CSWA &CSWA-AM certified
    www.marino-customs.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information