. .
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    I'm sure that you will not get the machine to run on single phase as it is at present. It would mean sacrificing some some elements (reduced spindle power, smaller or no vac pump etc.), but I suspect that the cost and other problems of installing 3phase or using a large generator is likely to rule out keeping the machine as 3phase. I am fairly sure that from what has been said a small unit with 3ph already installed will also be a non-starter, and anyway I know that you , your friends and neighbours will not relish the idea of moving that beast again. These machines are likely to have have a power requirement of at 10-12KVA and I think you will find that is "pushing" your luck if you try to run it on single phase in its current configuration. G.

Hi,plastng to plan tomorrow, had a noseop and it runs at both 220&380v . Have seen some large rotory converters for 1500, but I need to look more into gennys, Getting it from the elecy company is problematic to get it to the workshop and would cost around 3k. Wereas, if a genny or rc can work, I have plenty of space.

I realy need to do the numbers for the electronics tomorrow to get a starting point

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    It will be possible to run from a generator, however it will need to be sized appropriately.
    Best option will be to phone a couple different generator suppliers, explain to them what you're powering, and see what they suggest.

My guess would be aim for a generator with at least twice the KVA rating of what you need in total. The big issue will be voltage dipping/surging while motors spin up/down. The main spindle shouldn't be too bad, as the VFD will ramp up to speed off load, so there's no major start-up surge. However the vacuum motors will most likely be a simple contactor control, which will most likely cause a pretty large start-up surge.

And by the time you pay for a suitable genny, that 3k to get proper 3phase will most likely appear reasonable!
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Just before i start neew thread, in relation to the ballscrew...

We seem to be missing a few balls, after stripping and servicing the main ballscrew, any idea of a good place to order them from if i can get the correct size... ( if anyone else servicing one of these scm morbidelli, it does not dismantle the way the service manual says, its more complete than it looks ).... any suggestions.

secondly, controller options. any suggestions for a controller that could deal with servos and steppers, industrial types. an mot stuck on this, but am thinking i want 4 more motors for positioning, 2 only need to be very light ( scan, cam, touch probe, plastic extruder, ), i also wish to add an alternate Y mech for a laser, but am thinking it will cost a lot less in steppers than servoes, if both are drivable at the same time.

any suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by george uk View Post
    We seem to be missing a few balls, after stripping and servicing the main ballscrew, any idea of a good place to order them from if i can get the correct size... ( if anyone else servicing one of these scm morbidelli, it does not dismantle the way the service manual says, its more complete than it looks ).... any suggestions.
    Try Gary @ Zapp he may have some he can offer you.

.Me
    .Me

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1278.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	396.4 KB 
ID:	12506Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1277.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	451.9 KB 
ID:	12507Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1248.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	488.9 KB 
ID:	12508Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1244.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	726.0 KB 
ID:	12509
    Here is the baring after a clean, about 10 balls misplaced, here is 2 of the pictures showing what we had to do to move it. we managed to get the cross section of that green bit down to 150cm to get it down the ally, still not sure how we made it. Good job that i have great neigbours, and no onew minded us closing the road off twice. ;->

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 15 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by george uk View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1278.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	396.4 KB 
ID:	12506Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1277.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	451.9 KB 
ID:	12507Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1248.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	488.9 KB 
ID:	12508Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1244.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	726.0 KB 
ID:	12509
    Here is the baring after a clean, about 10 balls misplaced, here is 2 of the pictures showing what we had to do to move it. we managed to get the cross section of that green bit down to 150cm to get it down the ally, still not sure how we made it. Good job that i have great neigbours, and no onew minded us closing the road off twice. ;->
    Well we have seen people put cnc's in there spare bedrooms study etc. But into your lounge!! and not through the door that's what I call keen Good luck. ..Clive

Well we have seen people put cnc's in there spare bedrooms study etc. But into your lounge!! and not through the door that's what I call keen Good luck. ..Clive
    He he he, well, at least the council will stop asking why i seem to have a livingroom,bathroom,kitchen and bedroom in the workshop... ( somewere to chuck the kids when they were teens and stroppy )... We are just planning how to get a mill am bidding on in, i underestimated the width of this by 50mm and it caused loads of work..

Unbelievable, Well done. G.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information