. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    OK guys, simple question....what tools should I get for milling and turning besides the usual selection of cutters and bits, DRO's, a 125mm swivel milling vice, quick change tool post, live centre, ER32 collet chuck set?

What are the tools that you just can't do without, DTI's, boring heads? All I'll be doing is mainly turning down items, putting in circlip grooves and the odd bit of milling but I (read my work) want a good selection of tools so that I don't have to wait for a tool to arrive before I can set up a machine or do some machining.
    Neil...

Build log...here

For the mill -
    A toolmakers vice, a set of solid parallels and a set of wavy parallels.
    For the lathe -
    Enough quick change holders to allow multiples of the same tools with different inserts on centre without messing about.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to magicniner For This Useful Post:

For the lathe this is the tool I use 90% of the time, love it.

Last edited by gavztheouch; 17-04-2014 at 08:30 PM.
    CNC routing and prototyping services www.cncscotland.co.uk

ADD ME ON FACEBOOKS

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gavztheouch For This Useful Post:

I would add a bench grinder if you haven't already got one - nothing worse than a blunt HSS lathe tool when you need it sharp.

I also have a morse taper drill bit chuck (robbed from my pillar drill) and some of my larger drill bits are the morse taper type (normally followed up with a boring bar operation).

Also if you do tube work then a morse taper with a 3 or 4 jaw chuck for the tail stock so you can hold long objects (I still need to get a travelling/steady rest for my lathe).

One thing I have found is that no matter when I think I have got everything, a job will crop up, which needs something new to do it with ;)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Washout For This Useful Post:

If it's for work just use the right inserted tooling, time at the grinder fannying around sharpening is fine if you've nothing els e to do though ;-)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to magicniner For This Useful Post:

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    You can spend a fortune on tools, and still not have the one needed for a job, so I wouldn't even contemplate trying to cover all eventualities!

Alot will depend on the size of machines you have, but here's a quick list I can think of-
    Mill
    Clamp set - the usual generic kit that nearly all suppliers sell, in whatever size that fits the T-slots
    Vice - something nearing the capabilities of whatever machine you have, and something smaller if you have the funds. Large stuff you usually clamp straight to the table, but using a vise is normally easier, however mounting small stuff in a large vise can be a pain. If you have a rough idea of what you're likely to machine, use that as a guid to what vise to buy.
    End mills - For steel I usually only have 4 sizes. 12, 10, 6, and 4mm. Anything needing another size I just order when needed. I also have a some larger indexable endmills which I do use a fair bit, but that's only any good if you're machine is large/powerful enough (I picked mine up of ebay a while ago for a pretty good price)
    Boring head - pretty much essential if using a manual mill and need to bore something.
    DTI - pretty invaluable if setting up to an existing hole/truing to a surface.
    Edgefinder - as the name implies, pretty essential for setting up from a known edge
    Wobbler - handy if you need to pick up marked lines

Lathe
    Other than the usual cutting tools, I can't think of much.
    Personally I use index tooling for 99% of stuff, with HSS saved for doing profiled stuff, however it can work out expensive.
    An indexed parting tool is a revelation for parting off, compared to using HSS.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to m_c For This Useful Post:

Various bits of bar stock so that you can make the one off specials that crop up.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Web Goblin For This Useful Post:

Not much to add other than Angle plates and Machinst Jacks are handy for odd shaped stuff. Decent fly cutter and/or Boring head.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 10 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    How about centre drill bits for the lathe Centre Drills - Arc Euro Trade etc. ..Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    How about centre drill bits for the lathe Centre Drills - Arc Euro Trade etc. ..Clive
    If you're using them to make a hole to support the work with a centre, then that's what you need. However for making the mark to center a normal drill, spot drills are better as they're more robust.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information