. .
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by longy View Post
    Well you get the prize, good find. ..Clive

Only trying to help Clive. Dean has been more than helpful with my cnc build plans and he's kicked me into touch several times LOL... So if I can help I'll try. Mike

I know you said ideally not using an Arduino, but if you want it simple they're hard to beat as the principle of Arduino's seems to make the electronics and coding as simple as possible. The Arduino Uno has 5V outputs, so you can connect it directly to the stepper driver - no other components required.

The timing diagram Eddy's highlighted would be easy to follow with the Arduino, but for this application we don't need to worry about it too much - just set the step pulse width to at least 5us and it'll be fine.

Just to be clear, do you just want to control one motor at a time? For instance just use a potentiometer to set the speed and the circuit outputs the pulse train to get that speed?

(By all meant do it using one of the other ways suggested in this thread - they all look fine to me.)
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Just to be clear, do you just want to control one motor at a time? For instance just use a potentiometer to set the speed and the circuit outputs the pulse train to get that speed?
    Yes all I want is to Jog one axis at a time for testing purposes so can run machine thru it's travel quickly when no electonics are connected. I've got a spare drive and MPG wheel and just want a cheap way to increase the distance traveled per click, IE step multiplier.

I've got a Raspberry Tart and could use that but don't want to as I want it simple and I've got another use for that.
    I could buy drive with Pulse generator built into it but don't want to as I have perfectly good drive sitting here that I'll never fit to a machine.

Currently I've got the MPG connected to the drive and it works fine so I didn't think it would be a massive electronics project or expensive to create a step multiplier just to speed up the travel.?

Thanks to those that pointed out the products that are available to do this and I did know about them but don't want to buy one, I want the experience of doing this and I'm sure it could be done for under a tenner.! . . . . If not then I'll not bother as I've loads of alternatives.

So come on you electronics geeks surely one of you can knock together a simple circuit for a Dummy's to do this.? . . . . . . . If not you'll leave me no option but to go back to Cnczone and ask my Old mates. . . . . SO COME ON . . lets KEEP IT BRITISH.

5. How much of a multiplier do you need Dean? And fixed or variable multiples? Not hard to do. I'm guessing you want to retain the MPG to give some degree of control rather than an autonomous pulse generator as already suggested?

Someone suggested a 555-based timer, and that's the way I would go as well. Google "555 timer" and there will be plenty of sample circuits - just a half-dozen or so components, bit of Veroboard, and you can probably do it for a fiver. Like this one? I built one of these a while ago when my wife gave me three days - over a weekend - to build a slow-speed turntable to display a piece of work. All I had to hand was a spare stepper from my 3D printer and the matching Pololu driver. All you need to do is generate 5V pulses so run the circuit off any convenient source of 5V; direction can be switched, and enable hard-wired. Timing isn't an issue as long as you get the pulse length above the minimum for the driver.

Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    How much of a multiplier do you need Dean? And fixed or variable multiples? Not hard to do. I'm guessing you want to retain the MPG to give some degree of control rather than an autonomous pulse generator as already suggested?
    Thanks Irving. Yes would like to keep the detent control of MPG. I could live with Fixed multiplier but would be nice if not too much more trouble.
    It's a 100 pulse per turn MPG so at minute it's 2 turns for one Rev of stepper. I mostly work with 10mm pitch screws so it would be nice if one turn = 100mm so say x 20 Multiplier. Idealy 10, 20, 50.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I'd go for something arduino based if you want to have MPG control.
    To get smooth motion you need something that can do a little bit thinking and translate how quickly the pulses need generated based on the input, and Arduino gives you the 5V signals, can handle a MPG input, and the clones can be had for not much money.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

9. It's true a software/minimal hardware solution is ultimately more flexible, but Dean wanted a learning experience too.

Dean, can your MPG be set to 1 pulse/turn? Because a pulse multiplier needs to fit n pulses into each pulse from the MPG. If that's producing a sequence of fast pulses followed by a longish gap then a simple add-on hardware multiplier is going to struggle and the software solution is more practical.

Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    Dean, can your MPG be set to 1 pulse/turn? Because a pulse multiplier needs to fit n pulses into each pulse from the MPG. If that's producing a sequence of fast pulses followed by a longish gap then a simple add-on hardware multiplier is going to struggle and the software solution is more practical.
    No it's only the MPG wheel not a pendent so just one pulse per detent. 100 detents per/Rev.
    Like this one. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MPG6.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	12185

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information