Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Oh ok, that's easier.

    Assuming that has a 5v supply and A and B outputs then what I have in mind should work ok :) Do you have a link to datasheet?

  2. #22
    What about this?
    555 stepper pulse generator

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    Oh ok, that's easier.

    Assuming that has a 5v supply and A and B outputs then what I have in mind should work ok :) Do you have a link to datasheet?
    Irving, it sounds like this one, there's a data sheet in the download tab, ISM6045 (Hand Wheel)
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to EddyCurrent For This Useful Post:


  5. #24
    Sorry irving been busy.

    It's one sent to me along with a Pokeys 56E to try out. Nothing special it does have differential outputs so got A+ A- B+ B- and use's 5v.

    This one PoMPG1 but no data sheet as such.

  6. No problem. Got a design worked out, uses 3 chips plus a dip switch & a handful of discrete parts. Will give you a multiplier between 1 & 256 set by the dip switch. Careful shopping should easily get under 10 including some stripboard to assemble it on. Will post up schematic over weekend after I've run a couple of simulations on it..

  7. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    No problem. Got a design worked out, uses 3 chips plus a dip switch & a handful of discrete parts. Will give you a multiplier between 1 & 256 set by the dip switch. Careful shopping should easily get under 10 including some stripboard to assemble it on. Will post up schematic over weekend after I've run a couple of simulations on it..
    Star man I'll fire up the old poker iron in readyness. .

  8. #27
    Hi Jazz,
    What stepper driver do you use?
    The digital drive I use on my mill have a "Test Mode" ... All you need to do is flick a micro-switch on each drive. :-)
    You may not even need anything made at all.....

    RNR

  9. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by rnr107 View Post
    Hi Jazz,
    What stepper driver do you use?
    The digital drive I use on my mill have a "Test Mode" ... All you need to do is flick a micro-switch on each drive. :-)
    You may not even need anything made at all.....

    RNR
    It's an old 752 anologue drive I had kicking around so no such nicety's.

    Like I've said I could buy cheap digital drive that will do it or pulse generator board and multitude of other options like Arduino but I have the drive and MPG wheel and know it's only simple electronics to make this happen but I'm not into electronics to that degree to know how or what's needed. I know people who have done this and could approach them but just thought it would be good for the forum and maybe others to see how.

    To be honest I'm little surprised( slightly dissapointed) there are not more takers or more informed/detailed suggestions because I know there are plenty on here who do know how or could easily come up with something.!

  10. #29
    Hi JAZZ

    When I first saw this I thought - 555 - like a couple of others here. But then I saw you really wanted a step multiplier to add to your MPG. IMHO That makes a whole world of difference over a simple step generator.

    I see Irving has a plan in motion - I have to say I'll be interested to see it because whilst I think this would be fairly trivial with SOFTWARE, a purely HARDWARE solution - well - like I say I'll be interested to see it.

    Just to give an idea of WHY I think there is more to this than might meet the eye. Your requirement was for a 10, 20, 50 MPG multiplier.

    So at first site you might say - ok - every pulse that comes out of the MPG let's just generate 10. But what frequency does it output those pulses at? It has to do the 10 before the next MPG pulse - but it has no idea when that's coming. So you either end up with 10 pulses and then some arbitrary gap before the next MPG pulse (I forsee stepper stalling here) OR you end up getting the next MPG pulse BEFORE the 10 have finished. Oops - now we need to buffer the MPG pulses, so now we need memory.

    Alternatively your hardware could wait until it's received a few pulses and follow the trend - kinda work behind the curve - again - trivial in software - but to me at least a nightmare in purely hardware.

    Add to that the fact that once you get to your 50 x multiplier, maybe even before - you're going to have to start concidering accel ramps etc. etc. - frequency blending...

    On the other hand of course I might be completely wrong - but at the moment I can't see it and so haven't offered anything.

    If you relent and allow software - then I'll be in.

    Cheers

    Ian

  11. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by stirling View Post
    When I first saw this I thought - 555 - like a couple of others here. But then I saw you really wanted a step multiplier to add to your MPG. IMHO That makes a whole world of difference over a simple step generator.
    Snip...
    My thoughts exactly...

    I'll be interested to see what Irving comes up with.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Mach Turn
    By Kai in forum CAD & CAM Software
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-08-2016, 02:40 PM
  2. MPG or Hand Wheel Pulse Encoder where to buy in UK?
    By suesi34e in forum Marketplace Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-01-2014, 04:41 PM
  3. clunks / missing steps - DM856 and single pulse operation
    By dsc in forum Motor Drivers & Controllers
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 09-12-2013, 02:22 PM
  4. Pulse rate or dip switch settings
    By Jopo in forum Stepper & Servo Motors
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 29-04-2013, 08:08 AM
  5. LED not turn on
    By Awel in forum Motor Drivers & Controllers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-12-2011, 06:59 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •