. .
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Ok well not often I'm asking for help but with this kind of electronics I'm not so savy.!

What I want to do is build a SIMPLE test rig for moving machine AXIS around on bench with NO PC involved.

I've got a simple setup already that is just a Drive and MPG and it works ok but hurts my wrist winding MPG more than 3hrs watching Babe Station.
    (Stuck a drill on it but that is going to kill MPG sooner or later.)

So what I "Think" need is a step multiplier and I want to know the simplest and easist way to do this. Ideally I would like not involve Arduino's or Rasp tarts Etc just keep to simple electronics on simple bread board PCB. (Oh and cheap to build)

That's it really and I haven't got a clue where to start so I'm relying on you Electronic Boff's.!!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 23-04-2014 at 10:19 AM.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Sticking my neck out here but something like this 2MHz DDS Function Signal Generator Module Sine/Triangle/Square Wave+case | eBay I think could drive the drives for a start ..Clive

If you want to get the soldering iron out, a 555 based circuit should do the trick...

555 Oscillator Tutorial - The Astable Multivibrator

Put a variable resistor in for R2 to vary the speed and maybe a switch to change the capacitor if you want more range.

A couple of quid should get you going.

Hi Jazz,
    What stepper driver do you use?
    The digital drive I use on my mill have a "Test Mode" ... All you need to do is flick a micro-switch on each drive. :-)
    Can't do simpler or cheaper than that !

RNR

The AM882 manual has this diagram, and it says

"In order to avoid some fault operations and deviations, PUL, DIR and ENA should abide by some
    rules, shown as following diagram: "
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1.jpg 
Views:	542 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	12157

So will a simple controller also have to obey these 'rules' ?
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

I'm no expert but I would think you should be able to turn the motor / axis with just a few volts about 12v missing the driver and the PC out altogether Found this on YouTube look as it's a hacked PC PSU, can't get much cheaper than that. Mike

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by longy View Post
    I'm no expert but I would think you should be able to turn the motor / axis with just a few volts about 12v missing the driver and the PC out altogether Found this on YouTube look as it's a hacked PC PSU, can't get much cheaper than that. Mike
    I don't think that is what Dean is trying to achieve as it would take forever to move the axis for testing purposes.
    He need it to move quickly up and down the axis. But a good demo of the way a stepper moves. Clive

Clive S, that's still quicker than 3hrs mind you he was watching Babe Station so his hand may have been winding the wrong crank LOL. Or for $40 would this do the job, less strain on the wrist! CNC STEPPER SERVO MOTOR STEP Pulse Generator & TESTER Pulse generator [] - $39.99 : Get Hubbed, The Art of CNC

Quote Originally Posted by longy View Post
    Clive S, that's still quicker than 3hrs mind you he was watching Babe Station so his hand may have been winding the wrong crank LOL. Or for $40 would this do the job, less strain on the wrist! CNC STEPPER SERVO MOTOR STEP Pulse Generator & TESTER Pulse generator [] - $39.99 : Get Hubbed, The Art of CNC
    Now that's more like it. ..Clive

Clive there's others that may do what he wants from $25 would Servo/Stepper Testing : Get Hubbed, The Art of CNC or this on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reversible...item41765abaf1 Mike
    Last edited by longy; 23-04-2014 at 05:44 PM.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information