. .
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FatFreddie View Post
    How about a hybrid system, keep the MPG for fine control but have a button that also injects pulses from a (variable frequency) 555 timer type circuit? Direction is set by the wheel and that is used for fine adjustments but for rapid traverse, the button is used.
    Yes this is an option and will be my backup if nothing full fulls my perfect needs.

Irving I'm following your design and with some googling I've found it uses a Hex Schmitt trigger, Flip flop and down counter so I'm learning already . . . . . . Now I just need to get my head around what they are and how they play together.

While googling the codes have been showing up with letters on the ends like "BE" or "BCM" what do they indicate.?

Should I start to play with this now and get these bits to play with or will there be more versions so hold off.?

2. Hi Dean,

You wanted a learning experience so I deliberately left some info off the diagram. :)

These chips come in various package formats, the suffix identifies which so decide how you're going to build it and get the appropriate version. If you're breadboard it you need the PDIP package.

I don't foresee any major changes and these chips are only 30p or so so get them. Maybe even a couple of each just in case :)

I do need to consider Jonathan's valid suggestion re direction so there will be a v0.2 shortly.
    Last edited by irving2008; 29-04-2014 at 06:38 AM.

3. Quote Originally Posted by FatFreddie View Post
    How about a hybrid system, keep the MPG for fine control but have a button that also injects pulses from a (variable frequency) 555 timer type circuit? Direction is set by the wheel and that is used for fine adjustments but for rapid traverse, the button is used.
    Yes I'd considered this approach but rejected it as too easy lol, also doesn't truly meet Dean's original criteria.:)

Here's another idea.
    I used to work on plant where Selsyn Motors were used for synchronisation purposes and remote indication. It occurred to me that stepper motors were very similar so a quick search found this;
    Fun with Stepper Motors - Synchronous Operation without Power - YouTube
    No external electrical power required just a crank handle on a spare stepper motor.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 29-04-2014 at 10:26 AM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    Here's another idea.
    I used to work on plant where Selsyn Motors were used for synchronisation purposes and remote indication. It occurred to me that stepper motors were very similar so a quick search found this;
    Fun with Stepper Motors - Synchronous Operation without Power - YouTube
    No external electrical power required just a crank handle on a spare stepper motor.
    Ye played with this before and while it will turn another motor on the bench there's no torque obvioulsy due to low current/volts.

Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    Hi Dean,

You wanted a learning experience so I deliberately left some info off the diagram. :)
    Good man I like a challenge. . Lol

These chips come in various package formats, the suffix identifies which so decide how you're going to build it and get the appropriate version. If you're breadboard it you need the PDIP package.
    Yes BB at first then will probably make a better job with a board.

I don't foresee any major changes and these chips are only 30p or so so get them. Maybe even a couple of each just in case :)

I do need to consider Jonathan's valid suggestion re direction so there will be a v0.2 shortly.
    Ok there's no rush so I'll wait until everything settles down then just buy a load of bits at same time and I'm sure there'll be plenty of Magic smoke in the air so I'll get spares. . Lol

Not being savy with these electronictrickery gismo's then it's probably technical chip stuff why it's a problem but Won't the drive take care of the Direction just with 5V on the Dir pin.?

Post #48-49: Looks like that was meant as a serious comment - sorry I didn't realise.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Not being savy with these electronictrickery gismo's then it's probably technical chip stuff why it's a problem but Won't the drive take care of the Direction just with 5V on the Dir pin.?
    If you apply 5V across the DIR pins the motor will spin one way, apply 0V (or leave disconnected) and it will spin the other way. You could could do that simply with a switch if you're happy for the machine to go in the direction set by the switch, not follow the direction in which the MPG is spun.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 29-04-2014 at 07:01 PM. Reason: comma splice
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    If you apply 5V across the DIR pins the motor will spin one way, apply 0V (or leave disconnected) and it will spin the other way. You could could do that simply with a switch if you're happy for the machine to go in the direction set by the switch, not follow the direction in which the MPG is spun.
    Obviously I know this and thats what I've been doing just with MPG. This is what I've been saying I just want it simple so flicking switch is fine and spinning mpg just for movement. Just I need faster than the single pulse the MPG spins at but still want the abilty to single step when needed.

555 + MPG would work and would probably be simplist but I don't mind playing and want to learn something in the process and so long as Irving or some other kind sole doesn't mind giving directions then I'll wait and see all the options.!

9. if you're ok with a switch for Dir then there won't be a v2 at the mo.

Suggest, if not done already, you download & print off datasheets for chips and get a handle on what each does.

if you're ok with a switch for Dir then there won't be a v2 at the mo.

Suggest, if not done already, you download & print off datasheets for chips and get a handle on what each does.
    Yes that's fine Irving and yes data sheets already downloaded but not looked at yet.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread Information