. .
    Can anyone help me with the wire gauge used for spindle to vfd cable. Thank you. Art

You don't mention the size of your spindle motor but as an example this is what I used;
    2.5mm^2 CY cable 3 core + earth. Cy Cable Per Meter 4 core 2.5mm (2.5mm X 4 Core CY Cable) ONLY £1.24
    My spindle motor is 2.2Kw and the vfd is a single phase to 3 phase 240volt. ABB ACS355 2.2kW 230V 1ph to 3ph - Vector Control AC Inverter Drive Speed Controller - AC Inverter Drives (230V)
    I used that size cable because that's what the ABB manual indicated. Some may say this cable is bigger than required but the physical size is not a problem and I have no problems with interference, also what a lot of people do not realise is that the cable is sized to handle fault currents which in most cases are much larger than normal running current.
    In addition I had to get ABB to come to site because there were issues with the inverter at high frequencies in vector mode, if I had not complied with the recommended wiring that's the first thing they would have pointed out. The screen should be connected to ground at both ends to meet EMC directives.

I suggest you read the vfd manual to see what it recommends for your size motor, if there is no mention of that then look at other vfd manuals of a similar size to see what they say.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 24-04-2014 at 03:56 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

3. The Following User Says Thank You to EddyCurrent For This Useful Post:

Thank you very much. I also have 2.2 KW motor. Thanks again. Art

Thread Information