. .
    I have been looking at the following 4th axis which seam to be pooping up on ebay and was wondering if anyone had considered mounting on to the bottom of a vertical z axis and replacing the chuck with a 2.2kw spindle mounted in place.

Does any one have any thoughts to this? im wondering if the shaft will be stiff enough?

best regards

CNC Router Rotational Rotary Axis A-Axis,4th-Axis 50MM Chuck Engraving Machine | eBay

I think it would give far too much chatter and the weight of spindle and required backing plate would kill it quick.? . . . .. Buy one and try then you can let us all know how it works. . Lol

i kinda thought that would maybe be the problem as the shaft is only 25mm, its a bit to much to get to take the risk. i found something in germany but with very little details on it. i dont suppose it would be to hard to build something so will just have to see and its not vital to have it just thinking it would be kinda cool if i could do it relatively easily.

Quote Originally Posted by charlieuk View Post
    i dont suppose it would be to hard to build something so will just have to see and its not vital to have it just thinking it would be kinda cool if i could do it relatively easily.
    Building one is the easy bit.? Programming the machine to use it is the hard and expensive bit. This takes you into 5 axis realms and kinetics which becomes a whole new ball game.!! . . . . Like you say COOL but expensive and a challenge for even experienced CNC users.!

i believe the program i would intend to you it with is set up to run it but im sure as with anything like you say its never simple.

It would certainly not be appropriate to convert the item you linked to for use with a spindle. There should be no problem using it mounted on the machine bed because standard software would work fine and I can't see much disadvantage from a machining point of view compared to your proposed conversion other than larger stock size might be accommodated.
    It may be that a robot arm is your desire so it might be best to investigate that route instead.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fanuc-s-42...item233934e868
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 30-04-2014 at 10:14 AM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Beat you to it on that one:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4963d1322056056-so-what-can-i-do-5-axis-dsc09027-large-.jpg 
Views:	4775 
Size:	292.1 KB 
ID:	12283

Over two years later, I've still not thought of anything worthwhile to make with it. You could program it with CNCtoolkit, or common sense if simple stuff.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post

Over two years later, I've still not thought of anything worthwhile to make with it. You could program it with CNCtoolkit, or common sense if simple stuff.
    Good work there Jonathan! Mounting to the bed is not a option unfortunately with the size of material i am working with It would be great for cutting surfboards or more specifically stand up paddle boards and other craft like from foam, it would work very well for that as you get very deep rails and near verticals that mean you have to have very long cutter so being able to come from the side would help with that a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zYrr4jNfWI

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 18 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post

Good way to snap your spindle cable off though ..Clive

Thread Information