. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by charlieuk View Post
    how about one of these guys products ive yet to try one myself but planning on it in the near future Saburr-Tooth :: Carbide Coated Rotary Tools
    Very interesting man. Will ring them now and find out more about it. Thanks

I suggested to you early in this thread. Talk to Permagrit, he can bond whatever grade you require onto any length/diameter of wood/metal that you want. the end could be turned down to fit in a drill chuck and you will have a very simple device that will doo exactly what you want. G.

Quote Originally Posted by GEOFFREY View Post
    I suggested to you early in this thread. Talk to Permagrit, he can bond whatever grade you require onto any length/diameter of wood/metal that you want. the end could be turned down to fit in a drill chuck and you will have a very simple device that will doo exactly what you want. G.
    I remember you saying that but I never knew that they make custom tools? Another thing to remember is that I can only go slow in my pillar drill with something this long because the other end is not fixed so any wobbled in the rod makes the thing spin wildly and could possibly kill me lol. Will speak to them tomorrow and see what they say. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by fatguyslim View Post
    Hey Guys, I am back again. After trying my luck with knurling on to my ali bar I realised that knurls don't work well for something that is 400mm long and spinning.
    u need to face the end off, then centre drill it. then put it between the chuck and a live centre in the tailstock.

thats how i kurl long stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by T0rnado69 View Post
    u need to face the end off, then centre drill it. then put it between the chuck and a live centre in the tailstock.

thats how i kurl long stuff.
    That's exactly how I did it. Knurling is not the problem here it actually the knurls that are formed are not sharp enough to shave the bamboo off at low speed thats all

maybe because its ali bar. alot softer then steel.

Quote Originally Posted by T0rnado69 View Post
    maybe because its ali bar. alot softer then steel.
    That's true but I am still not sure if the knurls would actually do the job? There is something else I have in mind though may buying a brake cylinder hone with an extension rod and trying that to see if that works. Any clue how good will a 180 grit stone perform on wood?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information