Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1
    Hey all,

    While looking around kickstarter, i saw this CNC milling machine. Looks rather niffty, but then again, i know very little on these things!

    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...nomad-cnc-mill

    regards,

    Alan

  2. #2
    I'm having to seriously bite my tung on this...

    Have a good read and viewing of the gantry build log section on these forums, pay particular attention to the physical requirements of such machines for them to be even considered as meeting the abilities of a milling machine.

    .Me
    .Me

  3. #3
    It's also silly money $2500

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post
    I'm having to seriously bite my tung on this...
    Is that the American spelling?

    One gusset does not turn a piece of box section in to a Rock-Solid Aluminum Frame, or Aluminium either for that matter. I don't think Jazz was consulted during the design phase, it looks more arty farty than engineered

    The clever bit is the bend in the Perspex lid. I have never managed to kink Perspex without making it go all blobby and twisted looking.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post
    I'm having to seriously bite my tung on this...
    YOUR having to bite your Tongue. !!!!! (spelt correctly just for Robin)

    IN one sentance it's OVERPRICED CRAP (Feel safe I won't get banned for saying that this time. . Lol)
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 05-05-2014 at 10:15 AM.

  6. #6
    Neale's Avatar
    Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Hours Ago Has been a member for 4-5 years. Has a total post count of 997. Received thanks 170 times, giving thanks to others 5 times.
    But it comes with cutters ground from genuine American carbide! That must make it lots better, no?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    But it comes with cutters ground from genuine American carbide! That must make it lots better, no?
    That's another thing that puzzles me. When I was a nipper, carbide meant tungsten carbide, or wolfram carbide if you were foreign.

    It now seems to mean iron carbide, which confuses me because surely iron carbide is what we called "steel".

    Carbon steel cutters are considered seriously third rate, but how can you have steel without carbon? Isn't steel an alloy of iron and carbon? Perhaps carbon steel is an abbreviation for high carbon steel.

    I suspect carbide may mean some clever steel alloy with a fancy fine grain structure that doesn't hold flaws easily? Called carbide because it is reminiscent of the good old tungsten product. A bit like calling graphite, Graphene to make it sound all modern and trendy.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    YOUR having to bite your Tongue. !!!!! (spelt correctly just for Robin)

    IN one sentance it's
    I never thought I'd see Jazz correcting someone's spelling! Oh and just for Robin, it's "you're" not "your" and "sentence" not "sentance".
    How can we be sure he's not biting one of these:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vernicia_fordii4.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	460.1 KB 
ID:	12331

    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    OVERPRICED CRAP (Feel safe I won't get banned for saying that this time. . Lol)
    No, it's clearly worse than that. It almost manages to make the CNCdudez router look worthwhile.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 05-05-2014 at 04:49 PM.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

  9. #9
    Neale's Avatar
    Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Hours Ago Has been a member for 4-5 years. Has a total post count of 997. Received thanks 170 times, giving thanks to others 5 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post
    That's another thing that puzzles me. When I was a nipper, carbide meant tungsten carbide, or wolfram carbide if you were foreign.

    It now seems to mean iron carbide, which confuses me because surely iron carbide is what we called "steel".

    Carbon steel cutters are considered seriously third rate, but how can you have steel without carbon? Isn't steel an alloy of iron and carbon? Perhaps carbon steel is an abbreviation for high carbon steel.

    I suspect carbide may mean some clever steel alloy with a fancy fine grain structure that doesn't hold flaws easily? Called carbide because it is reminiscent of the good old tungsten product. A bit like calling graphite, Graphene to make it sound all modern and trendy.
    I thought that it still meant tungsten carbide. Not sure that it's quite correct to talk about steel as an iron carbide as it's more of a physical mix than a chemical compound. Silver steel is around 1% carbon, I think? Definitely inferior to, say, high-speed steels for cutting tools but it depends what you are doing. I've made things like a T-slot cutter for T-slots too small for standard commercial cutters from silver steel, and for one-off jobs they work fine even cutting mild steel. But, of course, American carbide is the best sort. Unless you come from Sheffield? Or do they just make steel? Now stands back while all the metallurgists and chemists out there sharpen their darts...

    What the hell, the tools are probably the best bit of this "so quiet you can use it on your coffee table" router!
    Last edited by Neale; 05-05-2014 at 01:06 PM.

  10. #10
    I like the "Rock_Solid Aluminium Frame" coupled with the failure to mention the "Bendy-Wendy Round Rails" ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. FOR SALE: Emco mill 50 cnc mill like Denford Triac
    By gavztheouch in forum Items For Sale
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 18-05-2014, 10:19 AM
  2. Best all round mill/router? Vertical mill or gantry router?
    By Richard in forum Machine Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 18-02-2014, 04:18 PM
  3. BT/ISO15 ATC Spindle Cartridge on Kickstarter
    By m_c in forum Marketplace Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 14-09-2013, 02:15 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •