. .

Thread: 2.5d Probing

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Going to take this discussion/build to a forum that doesn't continually play with site settings.
    Last edited by m_c; 20-05-2014 at 11:12 PM.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

This might be useful.
    Probe-It! Mach3 Wizard | Crafty CNC
    Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset

JointCAM - CAM for Woodworking Joints

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Thanks for that Gerry, it looks pretty much ideal for what I'm aiming to do.
    I just need something suitable running Mach3 now, as my only currently functioning mill does't run Mach!

First - I know this is an old thread, but it says what I want to do.

I need to do a contour map of an object and reproduce it in wood. It does not have to be accurate to the angstrom. I am trying to make a wooden insole for a shoe, so a 'bed of nails' digitisation would be OK and probably a 2mm grid would be fine enough.

I would start with a plaster cast of the foot and then 'scan' it, before putting it through software to end up with Gcode.

My probe is yet to be made, but I have about 20 4mm square 'pills' of QTC (Quantum Tunnelling Compound) and one of them could make a Z axis probe switch.

So I am relying on the forum to give me some ideas, is there any bolt-on software to Mach3? (does Probe-it fit the bill or is there anything better on my virtually zero budget?).

Help please

Probe-It is ideal for contouring, but it doesn't really do Z digitising other than for basic probing for establishing heights.

If a bed of nails approach would work for you, then Mach already has a free bed of nails digitising wizard included.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to m_c For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Mach already has a free bed of nails digitising wizard included.
    It just demonstrates to me what a narrow subset of knowledge I have about Mach3. I will investigate today. Thanks m_c.

Lives in Derbyshire  UK, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 21 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 295. Received thanks 28 times, giving thanks to others 13 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    First - I know this is an old thread, but it says what I want to do.

I need to do a contour map of an object and reproduce it in wood. It does not have to be accurate to the angstrom. I am trying to make a wooden insole for a shoe, so a 'bed of nails' digitisation would be OK and probably a 2mm grid would be fine enough.

I would start with a plaster cast of the foot and then 'scan' it, before putting it through software
    I don't know if this would help you but I take an image of an item within a known size box or put a ruler in the shot, save in grey scale import it into Vetric Aspire and produce a 3d map you can also produce vector outline's of the imprint to clean up the imprint, save as STL file create the toolpaths save as G-code and away you go.
    But as plaster is white you might have to colour the imprint a little to get best results.

Phill

Quote Originally Posted by phill05 View Post
    I don't know if this would help you but I take an image of an item within a known size box or put a ruler in the shot, save in grey scale import it into Vetric Aspire and produce a 3d map you can also produce vector outline's of the imprint to clean up the imprint, save as STL file create the toolpaths save as G-code and away you go.
    But as plaster is white you might have to colour the imprint a little to get best results.

Phill
    Thanks Phill, but I don't have Vectric Aspire, and as I am only a 'poor old pensioner' It is out of my budget. If I were using a non-contact digitising method, then I would use alginate to make the cast.

Thread Information