. .
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Want2build1 View Post
    BTW .. it would be good to have a laser section on here ! :D
    I've been thinking the same, ill add two sections later tonight, one under Machines for general discussion and one for the building section. I do plan to expand the machines section for other specific machines as well, just been working on other stuff first.

What unit did you go for in the end ?

.Me
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 07-05-2014 at 04:37 PM.
    .Me

the same one I linked to, but I went through ebay.

I am prepared that I might have to tweak it etc... but as long as it's all there and all the electronics and tube works I'll be happy.

I think for double the money, you would get the same machine, but a better build quality.

I am prepared that I might have to tweak it etc... but as long as it's all there and all the electronics and tube works I'll be happy.

I think for double the money, you would get the same machine, but a better build quality.

OPLaser support forum • Index page

Chinese Laser Cutter Modifications - Arduino Forum

Ahh right, well I dont know about double the money you would more than likely get a more powerful tube and so on, you seem happy enough to give it a try, I know John S purchased one rather than build one.

Not sure regards build quality or what you are really referring to, i.e component quality over actual construction quality, from what ive seen there doesn't seem to be much to these machines, I dont think there is really much going on in terms of forces applied when cutting so mechanical requirements can be quite modest in comparison to lets say a moving gantry type machine people typically build.

When I had a little look at what diy options there was at the time I came across this website: http://www.buildlog.net/blog/2011/02...net-2-x-laser/ it looks like a nice little unit, though you do need to source your own tube if I remember correctly, I think he says something about shipping on tubes being to hit and miss to feel comfortable selling them and so on. I know they pop up on the bay now and again and I'm sure our Asian friends will have a steady supply up for grabs.

I think there is also quite a choice when it comes to the mirrors these machines use, so again if you want to invest in decent ones you can do, probably comes down to spend again though.

O, something else on the tubes...I didn't realise but they degrade over time (hours used), I think they need to be re gassed after so long, something that put me off a little and to think about.

Regardless though, sometimes its a better choice just to pay the cost rather than go diy so I can understand your decision to purchase instead.

Good luck with it anyway, I look forward to seeing how you get on :).

.Me
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 07-05-2014 at 05:57 PM.
    .Me

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee Roberts For This Useful Post:

There's a thread on the zone where someone bought a cheap one and took it apart. The assembly was rough and ready and maybe slightly out of square.

My main reason to buy rather than build , is time.
    I've been nursing my 'allthread' Z axis on the CNC for months, but it is in use all day every day. I have the new parts... ballscrew, rails etc. but not had the time to do it.
    Same as I bought a WC spindle and VFD 6 months ago, and not even had a chance to power it up to make sure it works !

As for the tubes having a lifespan ... I spend more than the cost of a tube on router cutters ... so not an issue really

I'll put photo's and a mini review up when the laser arrives :)

Best I get that sub forum added then :)
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 08-05-2014 at 09:43 AM.
    .Me

Latest update:_

I've had the DHL tracking info come through.
    Portsmouth it is !

Looking forward to seeing your thoughts on it when it arrives
    what do you imagine it will be capable of cutting? thicknesses, materials and speeds?

Ian

Well I'll be really disappointed if it doesn't cut 3mm MDF , ply, and Acrylic, which is the main reason I've bought it.

If it will cut 6mm MDF at a reasonable feed speed, then I'll be really happy .. but I think that will be a long shot.

My CNC router is my main/only source of income, and the laser is hopefully going to increase my product range.
    I know my competitors use similar power machines, successfully .

I also want it, to see if long term I might buy/build a higher power laser to replace the cnc router (to cut 18mm MDF), as at the moment I spend my days in ear defenders and respirator/dust mask !

Latest update:_

I've had the DHL tracking info come through.
    Portsmouth it is !
    Cool sounds good so far then, you also have some new forums to play with: Laser Machines, LaserGRAV and LaserCut.

.Me
    .Me

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee Roberts For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information