. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    Well that's true but it may be that Wal does not feel confident working with 230v or he may not want to be hassled with the associated control gear for a larger 230v motor ?
    That's why I suggested the tumble dryer, it's just a plug and play device, the motor is quite small, it's quiet
    Hi Eddy,

Yeah, the main reason I'd like to stick to 12VDC is that it's compact and straightforward. Out of interest I had a look at some dryer motors on ebay, this seems like a decent, cheap example:

Hotpoibt Vtd Indesit Creda Series Tumble Dryer Motor | eBay

...and as luck would have it, here's a vid of what appears to be a very similar motor in action:

You can see that it would require a fair bit of gearing to get it down to 30RPM - there goes the compact and straightforward..!

With my approach, I'm a gnat's chuff away from something that I'd really be quite pleased with - if I could just find a 12VDC 30RPM motor with a torque rating of 300Ncm... Hey, I'd even try a compact 240AC... Something along these lines would be great:

High Torque AC 220V 30RPM Gear-Box Electric Synchronous Gear Motor Replacement | eBay

if only it had 4 times the torque...

As ever, thanks to all for your input!

Wal.

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Some where i've got a 12/24Vdc motor with geabox that would do this but not sure how fast it spins. I'll check it out and if it's fast enough your welcome to it just pay carriage.
    Nice one Dean. No mad rush, drop us a line when you find it..!

Wal.

With my approach, I'm a gnat's chuff away from something that I'd really be quite pleased with - if I could just find a 12VDC 30RPM motor with a torque rating of 300Ncm... Hey, I'd even try a compact 240AC... Something along these lines would be great:
    Wal is that bigger or smaller than a bees dick or a knats cock? :: We will have to catch up some time. ..Clve

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Wal is that bigger or smaller than a bees dick or a knats cock? :: We will have to catch up some time. ..Clve
    Hehe... Hard to call that one, Clive - you're comparing gasses with solids...

EDIT - Actually you're not - never mind arse/elbow, I think I've mixed my chuffs up...

Deffo catch up one of these weekends - hope all's well your way.

Wal.
    Last edited by Wal; 14-05-2014 at 01:50 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information