Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
Well that's true but it may be that Wal does not feel confident working with 230v or he may not want to be hassled with the associated control gear for a larger 230v motor ?
That's why I suggested the tumble dryer, it's just a plug and play device, the motor is quite small, it's quiet
Hi Eddy,

Yeah, the main reason I'd like to stick to 12VDC is that it's compact and straightforward. Out of interest I had a look at some dryer motors on ebay, this seems like a decent, cheap example:

Hotpoibt Vtd Indesit Creda Series Tumble Dryer Motor | eBay

...and as luck would have it, here's a vid of what appears to be a very similar motor in action:

You can see that it would require a fair bit of gearing to get it down to 30RPM - there goes the compact and straightforward..!

With my approach, I'm a gnat's chuff away from something that I'd really be quite pleased with - if I could just find a 12VDC 30RPM motor with a torque rating of 300Ncm... Hey, I'd even try a compact 240AC... Something along these lines would be great:

High Torque AC 220V 30RPM Gear-Box Electric Synchronous Gear Motor Replacement | eBay

if only it had 4 times the torque...

As ever, thanks to all for your input!

Wal.