. .
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 39 Minutes Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWMS View Post
    If you bought the machine from China I would earth it using the spike. It could be that parts of the machine are electrically isolated from each other. In which case, knowing how they connect the laser tubes, I wouldn't fancy 25 volts bouncing around the frame. :) Basically as he above said. :)
    25V won't hurt anyone but 25Kv will. It is true that it seems in these lasers the current meter is connected to the ground side of the 25KV and if one side of the meter becomes disconnected it could be a bit hairy ..Clive
    Last edited by Clive S; 08-02-2015 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMS View Post
    If you bought the machine from China I would earth it using the spike. It could be that parts of the machine are electrically isolated from each other. In which case, knowing how they connect the laser tubes, I wouldn't fancy 25 volts bouncing around the frame. :) Basically as he above said. :)
    you have to consider it in more detail than that !
    It depends on your current earth setup.
    If my earth is from the elec provider .. and I install a spike .. there could be considerable difference in potential from one earth to the other .. this would cause a large current to flow in the earth wiring.

If I was to add a spike in the workshop, it would be best to use that earth for the whole workshop, and "lift" the incoming earth from the supply

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information