Thread: VFD error
Ordered VFD from qiandingzhensatisfaction yesterday. Should be here Monday . . .
On a related note. I'm trying to remove the end cap from the top of the spindle so I can hard wire it and a get a good earth. The strain relief gland has arrived and it looks like it will be perfect.
So far I've removed the 4 cap heads but it is stuck fast. I've tried holding the main body in a vice (soft jaws) and using the largest pipe wrench I've got tried to turn and pull the end off but no luck.
All the photos and info I've gathered over the years on end cap removal only shows removal of the 4 cap heads so it must be a slightly press fit and/or a bit of corrosion. Before I start getting more aggressive with it I thought I'd check if I had overlooked something or if others had found the same?
Last edited by routercnc; 05-06-2014 at 04:40 PM.
Just give it a sideways knock with a soft/copper hammer
Had a few hours free in the garage this afternoon and got working on the spindle wiring modifications.
End cap came off in the end with more of a sideways pull than the pull-and-twist method I had been using before (thanks for the hints!). There was a trace of sealant around the o-rings which must have been holding it on. Don't see why they used o-rings and sealant. The o-rings are recessed into a shallow pocket and look like they would make a good seal once compressed.
Cleaned all the mating surfaces. Removed the GX16 plug and binned it. Dropped the strain relief straight in (mounting hole of GX16 is 16mm, and strain relief also needs a 16mm mounting hole) and used loctite on the inner nut to make sure it didn't vibrate loose during machining. Pushed the VFD cable through and soldered it onto the motor cables. I used 2 layers of heat shrink over each joint just to be sure.
I had noticed that the end cap was painted black on the underside as well so my plan of using that as an earth point wasn't going to work. Luckily on the spindle body side there is a plastic cover cap held in with three machine screws. Checked these and they were a good earth to the outer body of the spindle, so crimped on an earth terminal and fastened it under the screw head.
All wired up:
I will purchase some new o-rings just in case these have taken on a permanent set - if they decided to leak at some point I wouldn't know until something went bang. For now I've re-used them just to test that it works electrically.
Screwed it together and tighten up the cable gland:
New Huangyang 2.2kW VFD arrived Friday (quick!). It is visually slightly different to the photos on ebay.
I offered up the old spade connectors from the mains line filter and they are much too big for the terminals. The small red colour crimp terminals would fit but then the wire doesn't fit. So I ended up filing the sides down:
All for now.
Last night I wired up the invertor as per this diagram.
R = live
S = (not connected)
T = neutral
9 = earth
Note that I did not connect the spindle motor at this stage (UVW) since I wanted to check it would turn on, and then I was going to set up all the parameters.
Anyway, after double and triple checking all connections I stood back and switched in on at the mains. There was a brief pause, followed by a loud bang and a flash. Great.
I emailed 'qiandingzhensatisfaction', and he replied by sending out the connection diagram above (which I already had!), and asked me to make sure I followed it. I've replied that I had definitely followed the connection instructions and await his reply.
Could I damage the invertor in this catastrophic way simply by not connecting the spindle and switching it on at the wall socket?
Luckily as the unit had just arrived I've not left feedback yet, plus I purchased it on my credit card so should have consumer protection if it goes that far.
Saga continues . . .
Sounds like a bit of bad luck.It does seem you are covered, but I know just how annoying it is when waiting for something and then it arrives faulty. Await the next chapter with interest!!! G.
did you use new wiring from the power to the VDF, or did you re-use the older wiring, the boot back from when the first one blew could have affected the internal shielding of the wires,
Yes I did re-use the wiring from the previous invertor. But I don't think it is a problem because last night I swapped the mains cable back to the original Moeller unit and it came on as before and showed the fault code again (no bang!). I also checked the plug fuse and that is OK. But just to double check I'll do a resistance check on the mains wiring to rule that out.
Given that all I've done is connect three wires EXACTLY as per the instructions, and it went bang on the first switch on, it seems a pretty straightforward case but lets see if the supplier shares that view. Out of interest the email name contains 'lovehappyshopping' in the title so it supports the theory of a few suppliers using multiple outlets under different names.
By motoxy in forum Programmers CornerReplies: 2Last Post: 28-02-2014, 06:51 AM
By humbo3d in forum Routers, Spindles & ControllersReplies: 2Last Post: 09-02-2014, 07:10 PM
By edgas10 in forum General ElectronicsReplies: 0Last Post: 01-07-2012, 07:12 PM
By Kai in forum SolidworksReplies: 5Last Post: 10-05-2011, 02:41 PM
By Andre in forum General ElectronicsReplies: 2Last Post: 01-10-2010, 06:33 AM