. .

Thread: VFD error

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    That's really unlucky... Accidentally connecting the mains to UVW instead of RST makes it go bang, but only when you press 'Run' and you've not done that.

If they don't replace it then I'll sell you one of my VFDs for a reasonable price as now I can make my own (potentially) better ones, there's not much point me keeping them.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Hi

I dont know enough about the operations and standing loads of VDF to make any useful comments rc, i just added the bits about the wiring to it as i have made majic smoke with electronics a few times before... and have noticed after strip down from large pops, degradation of insulating wires around the dump or earth load, there is one that springs to mind with HID lighting, it seemed fine unter test, but kept blowing ballasts, after stripdown of the wires, the wires had dried and slightly swelled. Under low load test, things seemed fine, but would blow windings under load, especialy once it had dried out the cable enough..... there was no sign on the outside of the cable of the swelling/drying

Its sounds more likeley that its a dodgy component and you have just been very unlucky,

My replacement VFD arrived last night. But they had sent me the 1.5kW version despite me originally ordering the 2.2kW unit.

They obviously weren't happy with me connecting to a 1.5kW spindle.

Fed up with it all I decide to wire it up and see if it works. Pleased to
    report that after a few seconds delay it fired up. I programmed in all the relevant parameters. If I get the chance this weekend I'll connect the spindle and check it all works.

One thing I noticed was the noisy fan. On the Moeller unit there was a setting to allow it to only come on if it reached a certain temperature. Couldn't see anything in a quick flick through the manual but not a big deal if it does not do that.
    Also the keypad feels very cheap! Luckily it is removeable and has a connector in the back so would be seconds to replace if they are available as spares.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    One thing I noticed was the noisy fan. On the Moeller unit there was a setting to allow it to only come on if it reached a certain temperature. Couldn't see anything in a quick flick through the manual but not a big deal if it does not do that.
    Also the keypad feels very cheap! Luckily it is removeable and has a connector in the back so would be seconds to replace if they are available as spares.
    No Can't do anything about the fan it needs it on all the time. Regards the Keypad then yes that's a known fail area over time with these VFD's. Thou if you use spindle speed control thru Software then you hardly ever touch the Keypad so it's not an issues.
    If you don't Have spindle speed control then Fit a potentiometer to it and again you'll hardly need to touch it other than pushing run & stop. Most of the keypad use and wear comes from playing and setting speeds. Some where on Forum Clive S described how to do it and what to buy. Clives a Good old lad and he'll be along in a minute to tell you where to find it or how to do it.!

You should ask them to refund the difference as the 1.5kW VFD is cheaper. They probably just sell them and don't know much about it, as there's nothing wrong with using the 2.2kW VFD with a 1.5kW spindle. Either that or they're trying to cut their losses.

The few seconds delay is normal - it's just to reduce the inrush current when charging the capacitors.

It's very simple to just put a temperature sensor on the heatsink and switch the fan on/off accordingly. You'll probably find it doesn't need to be on that much, since most of the time the spindle (and therefore VFD) won't be operated anywhere near rated current.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

This might help with the settings for the VFD:- http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/7388-...se-Spindle-VFD post 1 .. Clive

Hi Jazz,
    OK, thanks for that. I can make the fan quieter with a bit of acoustic treatment.

Clive,
    Thanks for the info. Start/stop and pot has worked well for many years on the old VFD so will most likely go with that option.

Jonathan,
    Yes, first thought that crossed my mind was that they owe me about £15 or so! I'll email them and see what they say.

I've settled on getting this one to work - if I go down the route of sending it back an insisting on the 2.2kW unit, and it is faulty (or develops a fault), it could be a difficult discussion.

This afternoon I managed to connect up the spindle and when I pressed run it smoothly ramped up to 24000rpm. It ran in the wrong direction, but easy to fix that one. Another step closer . . .
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    Hi Jazz,
    OK, thanks for that. I can make the fan quieter with a bit of acoustic treatment.
    Why bother can't hear the bloody thing when machines cutting and when not using turn it off.?

Personally I would be getting onto them and insisting on the 2.2Kw just for the fact it gives larger cutter choice and if replacement was faulty then I'd be asking for my money refunded and buying else where. You have done nothing wrong running 1.5Kw with a 2.2Kw VFD provided you used the correct parameters for the spindle and infact your running the VFD well within it's capabiltys so better for them as it's less likely to be stressed.!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information