. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi,
    I am new to all this cnc stuff, and am looking to buy a Heiz machine - and will probably opt for the s-1000 in the end. My query is : am I deluding myself thinking that I will be able to set up and run this thing with my limited knowledge and experience of engineering ? I'm not thick, and I have been working with wood for a few years, but then I am in fact a linguist, not an engineer.I currently use band saws, chop saws, routers and belt sanders and use Photoshop for imaging and this to produce 2d wooden plaques that I sell on Amazon. I do get good feedback about quality, so people like what I do. My goal is to set up and earn reasonable money through signs and 2d / 3d decorative plaques, mainly in wood, both hard and soft and mdf.
    I am concerned that the level of software problems that people encounter are going to stop me working effectively. What I want is to take the machine out of the box, spend some time learning the Vectric software, turn it on and and produce objects of a good enough standard to sell. Is this realistic ? I don't want to spend frustrating hours delving deep into G-code to correct errors every time I switch the Heiz on.
    Any constructive criticism or ideas/reactions out there ? Thanks.
    By the way - Owen and Robin - north of London is not necessarily "oop North". In fact, it is mostly "darn sarf". If you want "oop North" try going to Hartlepool - that's really scary !

Hi Buddy
    You might get a better response if you start your own thread, the guys with more experience will answer your questions and offer sound advice.
    Regards
    Mike

I'll answer here but Mekanik is correct best start your own thread if you want to continue or contact me via PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cjohnh View Post
    I am concerned that the level of software problems that people encounter are going to stop me working effectively. What I want is to take the machine out of the box, spend some time learning the Vectric software, turn it on and and produce objects of a good enough standard to sell. Is this realistic ? I don't want to spend frustrating hours delving deep into G-code to correct errors every time I switch the Heiz on.
    Any constructive criticism or ideas/reactions out there ? Thanks.
    First yes it's possible but you have to realise there is a learning curve.! After all you didn't just pickup a router and instantly produce quality signs so why would you expect to do the same with a complicated machine tool.?
    There is a significant learning curve regards software just like becoming compitent using photoshop and the more you use it the better the results and shorter the time required to achive great results.
    Regards having to delve into G-code then with decent CAM package you won't need to touch any G-code.
    Regards Machine control whether that be the Heiz or any other machine then it's relatively simple affair which boils down to setting up Stock, locating Zero work coordinates for each axis then loading the G-code file and pressing cycle start.

If you do have any frustrations it will mostly certainly come from the CAD/CAM side and reproducing what you have in your minds eye.!! . . . How frustrating will greatly depend on the complexity of what you want to make and your abilty to come to grips with the software.
    Everyone learns at differant levels but I will say in my experience with helping new first time users that unless doing complex 3D models then in the main most new users get to grips with software quickly enough and after few weeks playing they are producing some very nice work. They never have problems with the G-code file or having to delv into editing the file, it's always the CAM side and selecting the correct or best cutting stratergy to achive the results they are happy with and unfortunatly this comes with experience and how deep your pockets are regards buying decent CAM software that give you the tools to get the best job.!

I won't get into the Heiz machine it's self other than to say It's too expensive for what you get.? Unsupported round rails is not what I would want if I was paying nearly 3K.!!

By the way - Owen and Robin - north of London is not necessarily "oop North". In fact, it is mostly "darn sarf". If you want "oop North" try going to Hartlepool - that's really scary !
    I'll take hartlepool and straight talking gordies over southern bull shit jessie's any day.! . . . . Try Grimethorpe where I come from if you want scary.!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 23-05-2014 at 10:47 PM.

Hi John,

Welcome to the forum, i've moved your post to a new thread for you to save you the trouble.

.Me
    .Me

Thanks jazzcnc,
    didn't mean any offence about Hartlepool - just a joke really, trying to keep the post light hearted ! I'm from Cumbria.
    Anyway, that's just the sort of constructive input I was looking for, and reassuring. I have spent hours searching for suitable machines, and this is why I came around to the Heiz. All the other machines seem either to be produced in and supported from the US, or produced in China, and not supported from anywhere - with the added complication that the software is useless. The Heiz is supported from Prototools in Belfast, and I have yet to read a really negative review, on here or anywhere else.
    Can you suggest any other makes that produce affordable entry level table top sizes ? I'm keen to get started.
    As regards software, I was looking at the Vectric stuff - any thoughts ?
    Thanks for your time and help.

Thanks Lee,
    I was just starting to work out how to do, when I noticed that you have saved me the trouble. Appreciated.

Thanks jazzcnc,
    didn't mean any offence about Hartlepool - just a joke really, trying to keep the post light hearted ! I'm from Cumbria.
    No problem and I didn't take offence just playing the north south windup game .. Lol

Unfortunatly I can't recommend any company in UK that I'd say provides a quality machine at sensible money. Yes there are some who provide quality machines but the money isn't sensible. That said it doesn't mean I'm recommending the Heiz either because to me they are too expensive for what you get and 3K can build you a much stronger machine with far better components. Obviously this only works if you have the abiltys and tools to make your own but if you just have even slightest abilty's you can build a very nice machine with quite limited tools so don't be afraid.

Hi Cjohnh,

How much space do you have for a machine?
    Are the products repeat designs say five designs in total that you churn out daily or are they custom built and each one is unique?
    What thickness of wood?
    Will you be v-carving at all?

It think these chinese routers are not too bad for the money secound hand, parts are easy available or can be made to fit and it should work well with mach3.

CNC Router 3kw Spindle 1200* x 1300* x 200 Work Area- Complete! Vacuum Bed! | eBay
    Last edited by gavztheouch; 27-05-2014 at 09:38 PM.
    CNC routing and prototyping services www.cncscotland.co.uk

ADD ME ON FACEBOOKS

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 44 Minutes Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Obviously this only works if you have the abiltys and tools to make your own but if you just have even slightest abilty's you can build a very nice machine with quite limited tools so don't be afraid.
    A bit like this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=floJre2fETI even mounted vertical Or ask the right questions on here and somebody might offer to make one ..Clive

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    A bit like this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=floJre2fETI even mounted vertical Or ask the right questions on here and somebody might offer to make one ..Clive
    Ermm not exactly what I had in mind with that statement Clive. . Lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information