. .
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
    The cockup with the ballscrew going through the vertical box sections was a stupid mistake because i was tired...this is CAD..i can make a silly error when im half awake...

In terms of asking questions and reading through other build logs, I have done reseach, maybe not to you exacting needs but done what i consider an acceptbale amount. Things like puley dimensions, im nt going to go rolling thourhg everything an read 99% of things that are all disimportant to me when in 30 minutes one of you guys who knows what your talking about and are being helpful can let me know... now of course,someone could perceive that as lazy...but then how would forums like this be created without that form of contact between members.

Just want to be able to build a good machine, So far you have all helped significantly...redesigning the gantry at the moment. Im not being all 'I know better' which there are a few people like that on most forums of any sort... I changed the whole table layout, gantry and am now redesigning the gantry all together... Your advice so far Jazz has been top notch stuff so dont be upset with me for recognising you know what your doing thus having me(a complete novice in this field) come to you and other experienced members questions you may have already answered before.

You are very correct, I have always thought about building a CNC though thought that with £1K i could probably just buy one...then apparently not but then you gus reignited that old idea to build one :)

Yeah im trying not to rush but i do know I can build a CNC machine, I have designed,built and flown functional autonomous survey UAVS before...I can build a CNC. ...But i see exactly your point... Design amtters allot here, as does money which is why your all concerned im getting ahead of myself which i often seem to be doing but i know when im going beyond my limit. My grandads work is very nice, but when it comes down to his work away from his machinning then its similar, paper and his steel haha. He is currently building a racing lawnmower which he has raced a few times...crazy fun thing but it depends on that job at hand.

I am getting less done per hour on this than designing a UAV which is simply down to the fact this is all totally new for me hence spending more while geting less done.

Hope i dont seem groggy haha, Just want a solid design so i can get the price list sorted...

Quote Originally Posted by FlyHighRC View Post
    In terms of asking questions and reading through other build logs, I have done reseach, maybe not to you exacting needs but done what i consider an acceptbale amount. Things like puley dimensions, im nt going to go rolling thourhg everything an read 99% of things that are all disimportant to me when in 30 minutes one of you guys who knows what your talking about and are being helpful can let me know... now of course,someone could perceive that as lazy...but then how would forums like this be created without that form of contact between members.
    Exactly the problem with young people of today.!! . . .They want everything handed on a plate and they want it NOW.

Others and I are not telling you to go away and read other threads because we don't want to answer your questions which we've answered hundreds of times before.! It's about gaining insight and knowledge of what's required and why they choose the parts they did and also the Cockup's they made(if there honest) along learning what makes a GOOD CNC machine tick.
    I'm long in the tooth at this game and I've seen and dealt with every type of person/builder and by far the ones who make the best machines with least trouble are those that put in the research and gained the knowledge plus listen before putting pen to paper. Your on a Budget and I can 100% guarantee that if you don't put in the time to research properly how things work and fit together you'll blow that budget out the water.

You are being Lazy by the very fact your asking simple questions that should have been clear if you'd read other threads. It's exacting details that you need to look at because while modelling is great tool for design it's only as good as the detail put into it. When the build begins then the bullshit stops and it's here you realise that because you didn't pay attention to details and model them into your design you suddenly find the Gantry won't move like you thought because you just generlised the part in CAD and now it won't clear this or that.!!

I'm not being high handed here or youth bashing I'm trying to pass on valuable hard learnt experience and Like Wal say's I'll bet your grandad never rushed a single part of his steam engine and I'll also 100% guarantee he did extensive research and took very careful measurements before making any part of it.!!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 07-06-2014 at 02:00 PM.

Id rather make the plate... ;)

I am taking it all on... As he noticed i do want a machine up and running asap but thats because I need a CNC to help develop a Survey UAv that is designed for my fathers 3D visualisation company. Thats why I want it quick, never mentioned that because its never been relevant until someone calls me up on it!

Maybe, But its helped me quicker... The noly thing I havent learnt much about so far is the elctronics but im going to make the decision that they arent all that different from 3D printer elctronics exacept maybe bigger supplies etc...

My main concern in building this machine is the electronics, I hate them. Do my head in! Im studying Aeronautical & Mechnical Engineering at Uni with a Electronics module...swear to god its magic!
    Last edited by FlyHighRC; 07-06-2014 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    No Robin we don't agree at all.
    That's a relief. I was just doing the forms to renew my gun/explosive certificates, can't afford anything that might cast doubt on my sanity.

This must be the longest thread on here with nothing achieved ..Clive

I resent that :P I ahve learnt allot from this bunch, also I reply quick when I want to learn quick..seems most post on this forum are responses 2 weeks apart...

Quote Originally Posted by FlyHighRC View Post
    I resent that :P I ahve learnt allot from this bunch, also I reply quick when I want to learn quick..seems most post on this forum are responses 2 weeks apart...
    They will be if you don't start reading and stop asking annoying questions you should have learnt. .

Wasnt refering to the people on this thread, You ad two others have been superb in terms of replying :P A compliment :P

Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 19 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,729. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    Oh dear, I think we might be going through another 12 pages of posts on the electronics. Router electronics are to 3D printer electronics as F1 cars are to go-karts. The principles are the same but...

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread Information