. .
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
    Hello again, Right After going thourgh more of the build logs..Updated teh design of my gantry...people using 10mm 2D cut steel and wled it all together, Im using 6mm and have just reinforced it allot... Simply for cost. When it comes to driving the belts, I have done the drive system using the belts and Pulleys Jazz reccomended(your real name?) I did the basic calculation to get the mtor shaft to pulley distane and added a couple holes where i can add tensionsers if the tensions isnt quite right..

When it comes to the X axis, Its currently using two motors...but reading around Im seeing a fair few people having issues with losing steps (similar to z axis on 3D printers) how much of an issue is this? If so Ill redesign for a big belt using one Nema 34 motor driving both ballscrews (cant find it but saw a diagram you posted Jazz...)

Help?

Quote Originally Posted by FlyHighRC View Post
    When it comes to the X axis, Its currently using two motors...but reading around Im seeing a fair few people having issues with losing steps (similar to z axis on 3D printers) how much of an issue is this? If so Ill redesign for a big belt using one Nema 34 motor driving both ballscrews (cant find it but saw a diagram you posted Jazz...)
    Ok well don't worry about losing steps. Those who are losing steps have usually either overtuned the motors or have mechanical issues. If you use decent electronics and don't be greedy regards tuning then you won't have any issues. Regards electronics then get out your head any relationship to 3D printers and absolutley don't look to buy electrics intended for 3D printers they are far removed from each other.

Single motor and belts do give peace of mind about not racking and do allow faster feeds has they can be run closer to the motors limits with worrying about stalling. But like you will have seen me say before if you've read other posts if twin motors are setup correctly and run comfortably within the motors torque capabiltys then you don't have any problems for majority of work. If running very long 3D work(15hrs+) then I prefer twin belts as you know one motor can't run out of sync with other.!

Keep reading and you'll find my Name. .

Awesome, Ill stay away from 3D printer electronics then :)

'If running very long 3D work(15hrs+) then I prefer twin belts as you know one motor can't run out of sync with other' By this do you mean the single motor system?

Here is the machine so far, The gantry side are completely different though the Y axis section is similar with some ugly looking supports, Might do what another member said about one 40x80mm piece running the length... Also still need to add laser cut steel peices for mounting the ballscrew supports at either end of the X axis...Pay no attention to the other side of the machine...I mate everything on one side then mirror and remate on the other...saves inserting the same parts over..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled6.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	534.5 KB 
ID:	12550

If this is approved Ill Take this over as a build Log :)

How are you getting the steel the rails are sitting on flat? If you're going the epoxy route you might want to give consideration ax to how you're going to get the joining bridge between the rails?

Sent from my Galaxy S5
    Neil...

Build log...here

If you go with 2 motors on one axis, remember there are 2 kinds of stepper drivers. When you power up some will remember the last coil pattern used and some won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post
    If you go with 2 motors on one axis, remember there are 2 kinds of stepper drivers. When you power up some will remember the last coil pattern used and some won't.
    Would you mind expanding on that, as I don't understand. ..Clive

A stepper motor has two sets of coils, say A and B. If you home the twin-motor setup, it might be that the home positions correspond to A on one and B on the other energised. Switch off, switch on again, and some drivers (I suspect all analogue drivers) will energise A rather then remembering the last coil used, so the gantry will be slightly off-square. I'm assuming that a rehome operation will reset this, but the moral is that you can't rely on the system remembering exactly where it was when it was switched off. Slightly more complicated if you are using micro-stepping but the principle is the same. Small effect if you do it once, but the error could accumulate over a number of on/off cycles unless you rehome at the start of each session.

Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    A stepper motor has two sets of coils, say A and B. If you home the twin-motor setup, it might be that the home positions correspond to A on one and B on the other energised. Switch off, switch on again, and some drivers (I suspect all analogue drivers) will energise A rather then remembering the last coil used, so the gantry will be slightly off-square. I'm assuming that a rehome operation will reset this, but the moral is that you can't rely on the system remembering exactly where it was when it was switched off. Slightly more complicated if you are using micro-stepping but the principle is the same. Small effect if you do it once, but the error could accumulate over a number of on/off cycles unless you rehome at the start of each session.
    Thanks for that Neal I would assume that most people would home each time they fired the system up and if they did not have home switches they would zero on the part. So generally would not be an issue. ..Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post
    Doesn't make a Jot of difference if using Home switches which you really should use with Twin motors.
    It's good practice to home the machine when first switched on and Most industrial machine won't let the machine function untill the machine as been homed. This ensures your setup and square so any step jumps on startup doesn't come into play.
    It's also best to home the machine between every job if not shutting down just to remove any errors that may have crept in over period of the last job. This is why I prefer single motor/belts on machines that will be running single jobs for 12hrs +.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 09-06-2014 at 03:13 PM.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread Information