. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hi all, I've just registered after finding signposts to this site from cnczone. I dont have a working machine yet but Im gathering bits; just got some nice steppers from Astrosyn via eBay.
    When I've something to show I'll start a build thread.
    Nice to see a UK biased forum for this kind of thing.
    All the best, Jim

2. Quote Originally Posted by rinderpest View Post
    Hi all, I've just registered after finding signposts to this site from cnczone. I dont have a working machine yet but Im gathering bits; just got some nice steppers from Astrosyn via eBay.
    When I've something to show I'll start a build thread.
    Nice to see a UK biased forum for this kind of thing.
    All the best, Jim
    Hi Jim and welcome. What size steppers did you get? I bought some Astrosyn steppers from eBay last year but not managed to get round to using them yet.

Welcome Jim

Nice to see someone else from Nottingham I think we should have a word with Lee about changing the site name to "MYCNCNOTTSUK" as there is quite a few of us on here from this area.

Regards

Andy

Thanks for the warm welcome. Im not usually much of an internet communicator but now I've the CNC bug Im getting stuck in.
    There are a lot of knowledgeable folk out there and sometimes a quick question before diving in can avoid expensive mistakes...
    My background is mainly digital electronics and PICs, I've always liked stuff that moves on its own so CNC hits all the right notes for me.
    Hell of a learning curve tho, machining seems to have centuries of occult wisdom behind it and despite lurking and reading for probably thousands of hours I know I've barely scratched the surface.
    Fun times ahead!
    Irving; the motors I got are MY103H702 NEMA 23 about 160 oz/in.
    Not great but my budget is microscopic. I got 4 for £35 + delivery.
    Im knocking up some 3977 based drivers for them, got the chips free as samples.
    Im going to use 2 motors for the main axis and one each for the others.
    Marchant Dice trap. thread is cheap but their machining costs are crippling; looks like threaded rod till I can afford something proper.
    When I start doing something constructive I'll take photos and start a thread - still got parts to scrounge.
    Jim

5. Quote Originally Posted by rinderpest View Post
    Thanks for the warm welcome. Im not usually much of an internet communicator but now I've the CNC bug Im getting stuck in.
    There are a lot of knowledgeable folk out there and sometimes a quick question before diving in can avoid expensive mistakes...
    My background is mainly digital electronics and PICs, I've always liked stuff that moves on its own so CNC hits all the right notes for me.
    Hell of a learning curve tho, machining seems to have centuries of occult wisdom behind it and despite lurking and reading for probably thousands of hours I know I've barely scratched the surface.
    Fun times ahead!
    Irving; the motors I got are MY103H702 NEMA 23 about 160 oz/in.
    Not great but my budget is microscopic. I got 4 for £35 + delivery.
    Im knocking up some 3977 based drivers for them, got the chips free as samples.
    Im going to use 2 motors for the main axis and one each for the others.
    Marchant Dice trap. thread is cheap but their machining costs are crippling; looks like threaded rod till I can afford something proper.
    When I start doing something constructive I'll take photos and start a thread - still got parts to scrounge.
    Jim
    Same motors i have, but i paid a tad more... it was £30 for ages then some b****r dropped a bid in at the last second and pushed it to £60 if memory serves.

I'm sure there'll be someone here who could machine the rod for you for some beer tokens. I would offer but my lathe not sorted enough to do my own yet!

Wow, I hadnt even considered asking for THAT much of a favour. Perhaps when I've contributed a bit to the community I might offer negotiable commodities of their choice to anyone with the will and machinery to make that happen.
    My workshop is electronics based at the moment so a crappy Lidl drill stand and a nice vice is the extent of my metal working power tools. reasonable selection of hand tools tho which is something.
    Im on the lookout for a small lathe but they're rare in the sort of skips I come across, damn silicon valley based yanks seem to find anything they want in aerospace company dumpsters but since engineering seems to have gone out of fashion in this country the pickings are lean.
    Jim

Jim,
    Where about in Nottingham?
    I'm always looking to swap skills with others, I'm not bad at machining but these invisible electrons keep hiding.
    My solder skills are limited to 3 MiG welders, one TiG, 3 stick welders and a plasma cutter.

Doesn't do a lot for SMT components

John S.

Id have thought it would do rather TOO much to SMT components...
    Im in Carrington; between Forest Fields and Sherwood.
    Id really enjoy meeting up for a chinwag and skill swap, knowledge and hints from people who have done things is immeasurably better than reading.
    I've a busy week ahead but I'll be in touch to see if you want to hook up.
    One of my reasons for getting into CNC is to route PCBs and maybe more, SMT means some lovely functionality & high density but they're borderline usable if soldered manually.
    We'll speak soon, Jim

Lives in Nottingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11-11-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 176. Referred 1 members to the community.
    Hello Jim,

I'm new on here too and doing my best to soak up information. Keep collecting the bits and I'll keep an eye open for your build thread!

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    Same motors i have, but i paid a tad more... it was £30 for ages then some b****r dropped a bid in at the last second and pushed it to £60 if memory serves.

I'm sure there'll be someone here who could machine the rod for you for some beer tokens. I would offer but my lathe not sorted enough to do my own yet!
    Welcome back Irving, missed you!

Jeff.
    Nothing is foolproof......to a sufficiently talented fool!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information