. .
    a future job I have in mind involves broaching a lot of stainless steel parts with an internal allen socket on the end.
    I finally got the time to look into whats involved "do it your self" and was shocked at the pricing..the tooling aint too bad but the holders I found were 750 bucks and beyond.
    so...as theres absolutely no chance id pay that kind of money if anyone decides to knock up there own in future do bare us in mind ;).
    i found a great little website where this fellas made his own and it works well (theres a video at the bottom of it in action) lots of other great stuff on there to. Rotary broaching - mikesworkshop
    Last edited by dazza; 05-06-2014 at 07:47 PM.

As it does say by machinists for machinists in the forum heading as elusive as they seem to be on here I will resurrect this .
    I found this great thread in the link below of a tidy looking broach holder. made from start to finish with video of it in action and well.. I want one....preferably one with a straight shaft that could be used on my mill as well as the lathe tail stock like the one in the video aswell as those mc mentioned below.
    If I had the gear and the knowledge I would have already made this.
    I realise a one off maybe wont be enough to entice some one to take it on,but..if there was enough takers out there for one of these holders would anyone be interested in making them.
    http://www.homemodelenginemachinist....ad.php?t=16807
    I think the drawings attached are of the rotary broach holder in the thread above ..thanks to ken.

and another video of one in bits assembled and used on a lathe
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpx76-_lPkM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WOBBLY.pdf  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by dazza; 05-12-2014 at 02:54 PM.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    http://www.polygonsolutions.com/

They do a basic holder, which they also sell via ebay, but it's still ~$400.
    I have various links somewhere, along with a spreadsheet to calculate the estimated force required. I gave up the thoughts of making one when I realised the force required for what I was looking to acheive. Although the current lathe may actually manage it...I'll have to add that to my list of things to check when I get time!
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

thanks mc
    I did come across those a while back,they describe them as standard and for brass alu and mild steel.
    id like one capable of holding its own with titanium and stainless so not sure on that one although it does say else where on the site regarding stainless..The best grade broach for broaching stainless steel of all types is PM M-4 broaches and changing feeds and speeds it can be done.
    im surprised china haven't jumped on these holders.

Quote Originally Posted by deisel View Post
    thanks mc
    I did come across those a while back,they describe them as standard and for brass alu and mild steel.
    id like one capable of holding its own with titanium and stainless so not sure on that one although it does say else where on the site regarding stainless..The best grade broach for broaching stainless steel of all types is PM M-4 broaches and changing feeds and speeds it can be done.
    im surprised china haven't jumped on these holders.
    I looked at this way of broaching but limited by the amount of martial per side removal rate plus the 10% increase in pilot hole was no good for me, was also going to be titanium so would have made it impossible to get what I wanted.

Think max cut for my size was .63 per side I wanted 8mm flats and 12mm rads, double D or spur drive.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Just found the links to polygon's other website - http://www.buybroaches.com/ Lets you select broach material and coatings.

http://www.slatertools.com/rotary-broaches mentions that titanium is possible.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Thread Information