. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 14 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    The Z axis looks like it could be converted by using a new top plate/bearing holder with a stepper/belt arrangement essentially strapped to the back of the column and abandon the "differential/bevelled gears" from the original?
    This is how it was converted with the original screws using the original bolt holes for the top plate. You can see the arrangement for the Y axis with the motor under the x carriage and the X Motor using the holes on the yellow endplate.

Regarding the spindle it is the 2.2Kw W.C. I did try it at 5K but was happier with 5.5K I have my spindle set up so that it won't go down past 3.3K I cut the slot with no issues.

I suspect that all beds are different underneath so the clearance will differ. I will post when I get the x screw in place but I have to get them first. ..Clive

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1975.JPG 
Views:	302 
Size:	471.0 KB 
ID:	12575Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1976.JPG 
Views:	316 
Size:	507.0 KB 
ID:	12574Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1977.JPG 
Views:	291 
Size:	390.0 KB 
ID:	12573Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1974.JPG 
Views:	319 
Size:	407.7 KB 
ID:	12576
    Last edited by Clive S; 13-06-2014 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Added text

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Excellent (starts looking at the budget for earlier purchase :) ).

I'll have to play with my WC 2.2Kw on my router also given your experience and see what can be achieved, though it will have to wait until I have my rotary axis working.

Clive, did you not consider using a screwed ballnut instead of the flanged one?

Name:	170.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	12579

I'm thinking of using one as I reckon I'll get away with not having to machine the bed...bit of threadlock and Bob's your uncle etc.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 14 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    Clive, did you not consider using a screwed ballnut instead of the flanged one?

Name:	170.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	12579

I'm thinking of using one as I reckon I'll get away with not having to machine the bed...bit of threadlock and Bob's your uncle etc.
    Not quite sure what you mean by that, The flanged boss I am using is to enable me to use the original end plates on the X bed by machining the stub off then boring the 40 mill hole out to 42mm then the the new boss can be fitted with the bearings offset by the 3mm I need to get the screw in.

The flange is in the centre of the bearing housing ie stub both ends.

Do you have a link to that screwed nut? ..Clive
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	assembly boss and plate.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	12580  
    Last edited by Clive S; 13-06-2014 at 02:19 PM. Reason: add text

It's one from Zapp, if you look on the ball screw page it's down the bottom.

I presume that you're using the standard flanged ballnut like the below?

I was going to see if I could get away with one i could screw in to a 25mm (or whatever width) piece of steel that will replace the tapped existing nut.
    Neil...

Build log...here

This in the inside of the front of my mill, was thinking of opening the hole where the indicator goes through the bottom, rap it for a 1605 screwed ballnut and use a 1605 ballscrew with custom bearing ends.

Neil...

Build log...here

Quote Originally Posted by njhussey;59200
    I presume that you're using the standard flanged ballnut like the below?

[IMG
    http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/13/y7amuge2.jpg[/IMG]

Neil Yes that is the type of nut, but the problem is the width of the body (round bit) hence the channel I had to cut in the bed. I will make the housing for the nut with the lug on it to bolt to the original place. Yours is a bigger machine and the Z arrangement is different. Thanks for the pics. ..Clive

Double nuts are a good idea for a milling machine - i.e. DFU1605 not SFU1605.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Would two singles screwed into each side of the plate/bracket be ok?
    Neil...

Build log...here

Hi Jonathan
    Can you explain in short words for an old duffer like me how a double nut works?
    My guess is that there are "tensioned" in opposite directions against each other and therefore cancel out any play no matter which direction of rotation is used (can't quite visualise how though).
    Cheers
    Chris

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information