. .
    Hello Everyone my name is Rob and I am toying with the idea of a DIY home CNC machine. Even with zero experience of CNC/CNC building I have no qualms about trying.....I believe Engineering is the career I missed out on so I would like to make up for lost time with various projects......I think I will be picking your brains if I may, without offering anything concerning this CNC mullarky so I apologise now for the one sidednessity of my visits.

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    You'll be contributing sooner or later - put up a build log, make sure to post the solutions to those problems you'll encounter along the way - ask pertinent questions to spark a debate. It's all good!

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Wal. (Myself a newb with just one build completed - yes, you'll want to make more than one...)

Quote Originally Posted by topbobster View Post
    Even with zero experience of CNC/CNC building I have no qualms about trying.....I believe Engineering is the career I missed out on so I would like to make up for lost time with various projects
    Hi Rob,

Welcome and don't worry about not having experience because some of the best builds I've seen or help on have been from people with little to no experience. To be honest this good because often folks with no experience are less likely to go rushing in and more prepared to listen to what's been advised rather than going off at tangents doing there own Ego trips.!! . . .9-10 times they end up coming back to the same point or way they'd been advised.!

Secret is Don't rush into it and buy nothing until you fully understand what and why your buying that part. Go read every thread that is similair to the type of machine your looking to build and read them carefully don't flick thru other wise you'll miss important details.
    Ask any questions you can't find answers to and ask again if you don't get answer first time. Don't build or buy without a clear plan of what your going to build and how your going to go about it. Don't try to plan for every last detail has this will just fry your noodle and the dreaded FOG of CNC brain fade will decend on you.!!
    Best approach is to treat it like eating an elephant.? One small bite at a time.!! Starting with general design on paper or Cad. From this the order of eating will become apparant.! . . . .Tip (Electrics come last so don't waste brain cells on them at begining.!!)

Good luck.

Thread Information