. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi Guys

Anyone heard of robocutters.co.uk ?
    they sell on ebay. looking at the OX MAX

http://www.robocutters.co.uk/proddet...d=TheOXPLUSCNC

Any thoughts? they seem cheap but i cant find any negative reports about the company

thanks

pete

Pete It would be helpful for people to comment on the machine if you told us what uses you want to put the machine to.. ie what do you want to cut and what kind of materials.
    I would be thinking very carefully before going down this route. ..Clive

I wait to be corrected, but I think this is the same company as "black cat cutters" and the Eagle range of machines (I have an Eagle). Colin is the guy behind the latter 2 and I think he is a member on here with a user name something like robocutter.

Hi Pete,

PLEASE PLEASE STOP and look closely at the structure of this machine before spending any hard earned cash.

Any decent CNC machine needs accurecy and ridgidity and this mostly comes from the frame. This machine has very little to offer in both departments to me.!
    The frame material is flimsy and weakly connected together with no obvious way of keeping or referencing any alignment.

The linear motion is a time bomb waiting to happen.? Rollers on Aluminium profile is stupid because Aluminium profile is relatively soft and will wear quickly given constant rubbing action of rollers.! Throw in the fact you have dust and debris landing on that surface and you create a nice grind paste to help the process.!!
    Then you have that same grove which houses the flimsy belt which provides movement filling up with crap which will get into the belt and pulleys again reducing life and high potential for causing stalls etc.

Then we go to THE most important area of a CNC machine the Z axis. Most important because it handles ALL the cutting forces so if it flexs the rest of the machine doesn't matter because you'll still have shitty inaccurate finish.!!
    This is again just a time bomb waiting to happen because it will become baggier than O#@ F@#&y in a very short time frame and any slight accurecy the machine had will be long gone if you remotely try to work the machine hard.

While it may appear cheap it's just like all the other CHEAP machines in that it soon has newness as worn off(4wks) it will need constant attention to keep getting the best from it and that best will still be way short the mark IMO.!

DONT DO IT.!

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Pete It would be helpful for people to comment on the machine if you told us what uses you want to put the machine to.. ie what do you want to cut and what kind of materials.
    I would be thinking very carefully before going down this route. ..Clive
    Thanks for the reply Clive Much appreciated. Only looking to v carve into flat softwood or mdf.
    chrs
    peter

Quote Originally Posted by Bazzer View Post
    I wait to be corrected, but I think this is the same company as "black cat cutters" and the Eagle range of machines (I have an Eagle). Colin is the guy behind the latter 2 and I think he is a member on here with a user name something like robocutter.
    hi Bazzer
    thanks for the reply, yes you are correct about the previous names of this company. thanks for the heads up.
    pete

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Hi Pete,

PLEASE PLEASE STOP and look closely at the structure of this machine before spending any hard earned cash.

Any decent CNC machine needs accurecy and ridgidity and this mostly comes from the frame. This machine has very little to offer in both departments to me.!
    The frame material is flimsy and weakly connected together with no obvious way of keeping or referencing any alignment.

The linear motion is a time bomb waiting to happen.? Rollers on Aluminium profile is stupid because Aluminium profile is relatively soft and will wear quickly given constant rubbing action of rollers.! Throw in the fact you have dust and debris landing on that surface and you create a nice grind paste to help the process.!!
    Then you have that same grove which houses the flimsy belt which provides movement filling up with crap which will get into the belt and pulleys again reducing life and high potential for causing stalls etc.

Then we go to THE most important area of a CNC machine the Z axis. Most important because it handles ALL the cutting forces so if it flexs the rest of the machine doesn't matter because you'll still have shitty inaccurate finish.!!
    This is again just a time bomb waiting to happen because it will become baggier than O#@ F@#&y in a very short time frame and any slight accurecy the machine had will be long gone if you remotely try to work the machine hard.

While it may appear cheap it's just like all the other CHEAP machines in that it soon has newness as worn off(4wks) it will need constant attention to keep getting the best from it and that best will still be way short the mark IMO.!

DONT DO IT.!
    Hi again Jazz

Thanks again for your input, and a big thank you for the warning, i will take your advice and stay well clear of this company. Yours and the other guys advice for newbies/laymen like myself on this forum are absolutely invaluable and a big thank you to you all for taking your time out and helping us.

enjoy the rest of the weekend.

pete

I share Jazz's concerns about the machine, I have seen the V profile and rejected it, even for a 3D printer. In most environments there is too much crap about to keep the grooves clean and if you are using a friction drive to move the gantry (which I am not sure about, some of their machines use a timing belt drive) then accuracy - forget it. If you wanted to mill ali on this machine you would have to take VERY light cuts to cut down gantry flexing.
    This is one idea I am happy to pass by.

Cheers,
    Rob

Thanks Rob,
    Much appreciated the time out taken to help.
    Peter

Lives in Sheffield, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 02-04-2022 Has been a member for 8-9 years. Has a total post count of 4.
    Here's some information about the OX. Looks like the kit being sold is a fork of this

http://www.openbuilds.com/builds/ope...c-machine.341/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information