. .
Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Ok
    1: = yes
    2: = yes
    3: = yes
    4: = yes
    5: = yes
    You can add an extra two BOB's to your motion controller if you like then you would have 15 inputs. ..Clive

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

If your going to have a feed hold button then you need a Cycle start button to get going again so you'll need an input for that. No point having External feed hold button without cycle Start.!

Also with homing and Slaving then you need to make sure " Home slave with Master" is UN-Ticked in General Config.

Also UN-Tick " Home sw Safety" if your sharing limit & home switches as the switch will be treat as Limit when homing and E-stop the system.

With #3 then you don't need E-stop on it's own Input if wired in series with limits just Set the E-stop Pin to same number as the input your using.! Then when switch is pressed Both Limit and E-stop Led will light in Diagnostics.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

I thought that if i use 1 input for the limits and estop i won;t be able to reset because the m/c will be on a limit thereby inhibiting a reset. or have i got this all wrong? i think i will leave the feed / hold out for the time being and just go with e/stop, stop, limits /home, and A home. at least until i become more familiar and have a better understanding of the process. I also have another input dedicated for force turn off enable so i will use this to take a fault signal from the drives.
    Last edited by PAULRO; 26-03-2015 at 09:31 PM.

I couldn't upload a PDF so i had to save as a jpeg. who needs it? Anyway , here's my proposed wiring diagram for the BOB. I have 1 more input left. XP30 is a dedicated forced turning off ENABLE. My understanding of this is that if a fault occurs in a drive then the alarm will trigger an input to XP30 and the drive will be disabled. is this a correct assumption?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BOB.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	167.8 KB 
ID:	15012  
    Last edited by PAULRO; 26-03-2015 at 10:16 PM.

Ok
    1: = yes
    2: = yes
    3: = yes
    4: = yes
    5: = yes
    You can add an extra two BOB's to your motion controller if you like then you would have 15 inputs. ..Clive

maybe down the road i might contemplate an extra BOB . i have to get this set up right first and get very familiar with the whole process.
    Last edited by PAULRO; 26-03-2015 at 10:41 PM.

right guys, this is probably a dumb question but i ask it any way, if 1 switch can be used as a home switch and limit switch to monitor an axis ( that's 4 switches in total for X,Y,Z, including a separate switch for the slaved A axis home) why would some builders need 3 switches per axis , total of 10 including a separate switch for the slaved A axis home? if the limits are separate to the home would they not need an extra input to the already limited no. available on the LPT port? there is also a cost factor for the extra switches. i have to be missing something here.
    My build so far has accommodation for an e stop hard wired to drop out the drives and as an input to the BOB for MACH 3. is there a need for a hard wired stop switch on the panel door? and if so how does it differ from an estop? I'm sure i can stop and pause the machine from MACH 3. is this adequate?
    is it ok to use the main switch to drop out the power supply to the drives or should i have a switch after the power supply to control the drives and leave the power supply powered up when configuring the drives. does it matter?
    i think i'm at a stage where i need to get the machine up and running with an adequate level of safety built in. i can then add the extras as i become more familiar and comfortable with the experience. any thoughts on the above would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by PAULRO View Post
    I thought that if i use 1 input for the limits and estop i won;t be able to reset because the m/c will be on a limit thereby inhibiting a reset. or have i got this all wrong?
    Sorry delay replying went out last night for a pint which turned into Gallon then Amnesia.!! . . Well No and yes to getting it wrong.?
    Mach as feature called Auto Limit Override which lets you Reset after Limit trip so you can Back off.

But With the E-stop then if your combining Limits and E-stop in same circuit and using Relays for hardware driven system (which you really should be) then you will need some Limit over ride Switch to reset the Relays. If using this setup then you can use the same Relay to inform Mach e-stop Happened and then just set Limits to watch same Pin if you want. With a Hardware driven safety system all your really doing is informing software an E-stop happened so it halts the Code and won't Reset until fault cleared. The actual safety side is done by the Relays and Never should be done by software.

Now personally I don't combine E-stop and limits because limit trip isn't an Emergency it's more positional error. I have Limits and Homes combined and limits do 2 jobs they Inform the Control limit as tripped and they disable the Enable on the drive so Motors are still locked but won't recieve signals.
    Again a Limit override button is needed if disabeling the Enables on drives. If you don't disable the drives and just Inform the control you can get away with using Mach's Auto limit override feature.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 27-03-2015 at 02:43 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

right guys, this is probably a dumb question but i ask it any way, if 1 switch can be used as a home switch and limit switch to monitor an axis ( that's 4 switches in total for X,Y,Z, including a separate switch for the slaved A axis home) why would some builders need 3 switches per axis , total of 10 including a separate switch for the slaved A axis home? if the limits are separate to the home would they not need an extra input to the already limited no. available on the LPT port? there is also a cost factor for the extra switches. i have to be missing something here.
    My build so far has accommodation for an e stop hard wired to drop out the drives and as an input to the BOB for MACH 3. is there a need for a hard wired stop switch on the panel door? and if so how does it differ from an estop? I'm sure i can stop and pause the machine from MACH 3. is this adequate?
    is it ok to use the main switch to drop out the power supply to the drives or should i have a switch after the power supply to control the drives and leave the power supply powered up when configuring the drives. does it matter?
    i think i'm at a stage where i need to get the machine up and running with an adequate level of safety built in. i can then add the extras as i become more familiar and comfortable with the experience. any thoughts on the above would be appreciated.
    Ok well couple reasons for 3 switches is if they wanted to home all axis at same time, Mach standard way would do Z first then Y then X which takes longer than if all Axis move at same time. Other reason is to have Home switch in a different place to limit switch.
    If you want to cut down on Switches and Wire then just use 1 switch and have it travel with the Axis being tripped by targets at each end.

For DIY use then you don't need Hard wired door switch IMO but if you did want a Simple setup then Yes just run switch in series with E-stop circuit.
    Correct way would be a Door contactor that won't let you Open door without turning power off but they are Expensive and OTT for DIY user with Common sense.

To me even in DIY use then Safety is still important but does need to be kept real.
    If you use a Hardware Driven E-stop Circuit that disables power to anything that can hurt you using Contactors and relays then it's more than safe enough. You should never rely on software for Emergency stopping the machine.

Like I say Limits are not an Emergency incident so just Halting and prohibiting machine movement is ok.

If your unsure of how to build Safe E-stop system with Relays etc then let me know and I'll knock you something up.

that's the way i would like to have my set up . a separate estop that drops out the power supply which in turn drops out the drives.
    my limits and home switches combined and informing mach 3 when they are triggered.
    so if i'm reading you correctly then the limit switch when triggered is also wired to the enable on the drive thereby disabling the drives so that's when the override is required? or i can use the limit switch trigger input to MACH 3 to stop the motors and use the Auto Limit Overide feature. ?
    l

so if i'm reading you correctly then the limit switch when triggered is also wired to the enable on the drive thereby disabling the drives so that's when the override is required? or i can use the limit switch trigger input to MACH 3 to stop the motors and use the Auto Limit Overide feature. ?
    The way I do it is to use a Relay for limits. This means I can use 24V thru the switches to power the relay coil, in my case Proximity switches, which gives best immunity against noise.
    The drive enables are then sent thru one set of NC contacts, The Limit input is sent thru another set NO contacts.
    Override is by way of Momentary button and Alarm buzzer to between 24V and relay coil to allow limit switch to be over ridden.

picture paints 1000 words.!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	paulro2.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	169.3 KB 
ID:	15017
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 27-03-2015 at 04:18 PM.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread Information