. .
Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
    Ok it occured to me last night in my sleep that noise on the 10v signal still wouldn't make the spindle Spin if the relay was working correctly.
    So I still think you have some issue with the relay not being set correctly. The 0-10v signal just defines the speed reference it's the Run signal and relays that controls whether the spindle turns or not.
    I think relay is not being controlled correctly and the run circuit is still closed. Mach stops sending a speed reference when M5 or spindle button is toggled off but the noise on the 0-10v line is causing the spindle to still spin because the relay circuit is still closed.

So only thing I can suggest now (other than you've not wired it correctly which I'm sure you have.!) is that the BOB is some how taking over controlling the relay duty's and because in Spindle setup you have the Relays enabled your getting conflicts.
    I suggest to test this theory you put the VFD back into using the on board speed control PD002 = 0 and leave the Start/stop to set to external control. (make sure the vfd speed reference is set above zero for this test) I think you will find the spindle starts again and won't stop and you can't control it using F5 which if was correct it would.

If I'm correct then try disableing the relays in spindle setup and see what happens.?
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 23-05-2015 at 08:49 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

i thought i had it all sorted so i tried to calibrate spindle from '' FUNCTION CONFIG'' tab. but it now has a different issue / maybe the same one ........
    so i tried as suggested ... PD001=1, PD002=0 .. Result is spindle running at top speed with no control from F5, or the '' SPINDLE SETUP '' tab in ports 'n pins.
    the ''DISABLE SPINDLE RELAYS '' or the ''MOTOR CONTROL '' box cannot control it either. i can, however turn of the relays from the '' OUTPUT SIGNALS '' tab using the '' ACTIVE LOW'' or '' ENABLED'' option. so MACH3 can control the relays from here .
    what has me puzzled now is that i have used the'' MDI'' tab to input M3 S2000 and the spindle runs once i hit ''enter '' on the key board or the spindle CW F5 . the VFD shows a reading of 20,904 on its window but the DRO for the spindle speed does not change. the '' RPM '' value in MACH 3 has never updated since i got the spindle running . when i turn it off and on again '' Spindle CW F5'' button or F5 from the keyboard then the led on the BOB for the PWM controlled relay 3 comes on , but doesn't burn as brightly as the start / stop relay led. the spindle will begin to run at 280 RPM (VFD readout)

if i then hit ''RESET '' on the spindle speed window the spindle turns on fully and the led for the ''PWM '' relay3 burns brightly. this really has me puzzled.
    RELAY 3 is controlled by LPT pin 14 dedicated for PWM. i cannot turn this relay off from the output tab in port & pins .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7666.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	369.9 KB 
ID:	15420   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7667.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	344.8 KB 
ID:	15421  
    Last edited by PAULRO; 25-05-2015 at 05:16 PM.

Ok well this confirms my suspicion that you are not correctly in control of the Relay outputs.

First of all you don't calibrate the spindle with Function Config. Set it back to defaults and leave alone.

To sort this your going to have to take a few steps back and deal with one issue at a time. So Forget the speed control for the moment We'll come back to speed and setting it up control later.
    Leave external control turned off in VFD, just control speed thru the VFD for now.

Lets concentrate on getting control of the outputs that turn on/off the relays.

First I need to know the position of the Dip switches on the BOB.?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

i have PD001=0 , PD002=0. FUNCTION CONFIG. CALIBRATE SPINDLE = DEFAULT.

DIPSWITCH SETTINGS...
    SW1=OFF
    SW2=ON
    SW3=ON
    SW4=ON
    SW5=ON
    SW6=OFF
    SW7=OFF
    SW8=OFF
    SW9=NOT USED
    SW10=NOT USED

Ok well Dip switches are correct according to manual.

So we need to see whats happpening or not.!! . . . We need to see if the Relay is active so i'd recommend you disconnect the wires to VFD and check with a Meter rather than having VFD turn on/off.

First Type M5 into MDI to make sure spindle is off. Next test for continiuty between the Contacts of Relay #1 your using for RUN. It should have NO continuity.
    If it does then change the Active State of that Output.
    Now Type M3 into MDI and Check Contacts for continuity. You should now have Continuity and relay is active.
    Type M5 and relay should drop out and Continuity drop.

If none of this happens then something is set wrong either in Mach3 or your wired wrong.? Only other thing it could be is the DIP switches are Wrong way around and the Relay is turned off on the BOB.!

To be honest we are getting to the point where it's very hard to help without being there at the machine.! What I've suggested may seem basic but it's necessary that things are done step by step before moving on to avoid confusion.!. . . Let me know what's happening.!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

my pump stopped running so i went out to get another ,this time i bought a WHALE 12VDC SUBMERSIBLE TYPE. it can only operate for 15mins max. at a time so
    i will have to set a relay ...
    anyway, i tried as suggested Jazz and still no joy. I set PD001=1, PD002=1, disconnected the wires to relay 1 ( run/stop) and tested with meter , i then tried to trigger the relays alternating between M3 and M5 on the MDI window but the condition of relays never changed. however i can go to outputs tab and toggle the relays on/off and will get a result. this BOB came with a MACH 3 PROFILE to be downloaded from the ZAPP website http://www.zappautomation.co.uk/elec...board-236.html
    this should be unzipped and placed in the MACH 3 folder . i should then use the MACH 3 loader to select the profile but when i do nothing works . if i use the MACH 3 loader to select the profile i had set up ( GARAGE PROFILE ) i'm able to operate the motors , etc. but have no joy with the relays , pwm .

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Paulro
    I am not going to interfere with what Dean is trying to get you to do as this is a very difficult situation when working from afar.
    Please don't take this the wrong way But you are not helping yourself and muddying the water when you bring things up that are nothing to do with this problem. So try and work methodically step by small step and give clear answers to the questions asked of you. Just straight bullet points are easier to follow.
    As a matter of interest when you use M3,M5 do you hear a click from the relay? ..Clive

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PAULRO View Post
    anyway, i tried as suggested Jazz and still no joy. I set PD001=1, PD002=1, disconnected the wires to relay 1 ( run/stop) and tested with meter , i then tried to trigger the relays alternating between M3 and M5 on the MDI window but the condition of relays never changed. however i can go to outputs tab and toggle the relays on/off and will get a result.
    How did you toggle it with the active state or the Enable.?

The output Active state is not a Switch for toggling any thing On/OFF. It's a Logic condition that needs to be set so things can work correctly.
    The enable is just that.!! . .Your turning the output off. So if the relay changes state then you probably have the Wrong Active Logic set and relay is coming on straight away and by disabling the Output it gets turned off.!

Set Active LO(unticked) and try M3/M5 again if relay doesn't change state(or Click) Set it HI(ticked) and try M3/M5 again.

Don't go Chopping and changing settings all over the place as it really makes finding faults difficult. Only make one change then Test.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

i toggled the active state of the relays to see if mach3 could change the state of the relay from a non responsive state . i have them set back now to the folowing the run relay 1 is on constantly because of active high setting. if i input M3 the spindle will run at 250-300rpm . M5 stops the spindle again. the only relay to change state is the PWM dependant relay 3
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OUTPUT 27.png 
Views:	477 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	15425  

Paul your not listening properly because if you'd done as I suggested then the spindle wouldn't start at all. And the speed would be controlled from the VFD using what ever speed you set.

You need to take a few steps back and deal with one problem at a time. Stop changing settings willy nilly because this makes the Job of helping so much harder. All this does is waste yours and my time by chasing false issues. I need you to only change one thing at a time then report what happens.

First all you need to do is get Relay #1 working. Forget #2 & #3 we don't need them so you can turn them off on the BOB and disable them in Mach3.

Straight away I see that you have the Wrong Pin number set for Relay #1. It should be Pin 16 not 14.
    Pin 14 is for the PWM Speed control which I believe is working fine just needs setting up for correct speeds which can be done later. NOT NOW.!!

So to re cap Tell me which terminals your connecting to on the Relay.
    Set Output #1 = pin16 Active LO.
    Turn off the Enable for Outputs #2, #3.

Next the relay will have 3 terminals which are you connecting to.?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread Information