. .

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    While the cable you have would work, and many people use that I'm sure, if you look in the manuals for 2.2kw drives you will see that 2.5mm^2 is generally recommended.
    Also I think it's a good idea to take an earth directly to the spindle because if you have a motor to earth fault a lot of current will flow, if you don't have an earth wire it could flow though the bearings finding a path to earth and this could ruin them. If you were selling these things commercially they would have to meet regulations which most likely also encompass manufacturers recommendations, but if it's for yoursefl then you have to decide how far you want to go.
    These spindles only pull at Max 8amps the VFD manual is recommending to cover all bases. 1.5m/2 will easily handle 8A or anything you throw at these spindles. I've embedded my spindle in aluminium many many times pulling many amps stalling the spindle and loading it to the max without any issues using 1.5m/2 cable.

The machine should be earthed and adding another earth could create an earth loop and potential problems, it's happened many times before. The VFD is earthed and the shielding should go to the VFD earth point and that is enough. IME.!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Thread Information