. .
Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    As all 5 motors won't be drawing maximum current at the same time, allowing for around 70% of the total quoted current draw should be plenty.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to IanS1 For This Useful Post:

625 VA it is then ! every day is a day for learning.
    Last edited by PAULRO; 13-02-2015 at 05:07 PM.

so i need 4 drivers EM806 a break out board and a smooth stepper. can anyone recommend a smooth stepper and a breakout board that's compatible with the drivers and where's the best place to purchase ?

Quote Originally Posted by PAULRO View Post
    so i need 4 drivers EM806 a break out board and a smooth stepper. can anyone recommend a smooth stepper and a breakout board that's compatible with the drivers and where's the best place to purchase ?
    Smooth Stepper is the name of a particular motion controller, it's not a generic name. http://www.amadeal.co.uk/acatalog/Pa...cessories.html
    There are alternatives to the smooth stepper, have a read here; http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/7718-Usb-smooth-stepper some have the breakout board built in I think.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 16-02-2015 at 01:16 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

6. The Following User Says Thank You to EddyCurrent For This Useful Post:

I have the PLCM-E3 motion control & PLC4X-G2 breakout board ordered but they will not be with me until march because of Chinese new year. i am using the time to try and get to grips with the electrics / electronics and hopefully start into the MACH 3 (getting to know you period !!) i know some builders on here do not use bleed resistors to drain the caps from the power supply . i was going to leave the drives drain the caps as suggested on various posts but on second thought said i would at least try and get to understand how it done and maybe use a bleed resistor across the n/c contact of the e/ stop relay to keep to good practice and safety as pointed out. i came across this https://www.digikey.com/document-red...calculator.xls i have a result of 1000 ohms over 35 seconds with initial power at 4.9 watts. OR 1710 ohms for 60 seconds with initial power of 2.8 watts. i don't know if these resistors are viable because i've absolutely no prior experience to work from. maybe they will do or perhaps previous builders use a different spec. i have also updated my electrical dwg to reflect my proposed capacitor bleed arrangement. any feedback on this will once again be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sheet 2.png 
Views:	136 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	14707   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resistor value.png 
Views:	111 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	14706  
    Last edited by PAULRO; 20-02-2015 at 03:05 PM.

I like this better;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sheet 2B.png 
Views:	233 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	14708

The way you had it created a short circuit across the 70v DC, only relying on speed of operation of the relay to remove it.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

9. The Following User Says Thank You to EddyCurrent For This Useful Post:

Cheers Eddy, i'll update that . the older i get the more cautious i'm becoming just as well i put it up for a critique.

I'm not sure if I would bother with the relay switching if you are using a reasonably large value of R. Use something like 4K7, 3W, wired directly to the capacitors, and save a relay contact and associated wiring? Probably about the same current draw as three quiescent drivers, so maybe not worth the effort, but it would drain down the caps even if everything else were disconnected during testing. I must stick a meter across my power supply some time and see what happens - I don't have any bleed resistor in place.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Neale For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    I must stick a meter across my power supply some time and see what happens - I don't have any bleed resistor in place.
    Probably not a lot.! Depends how you wired the control box.?
    If the Drives are kept in the circuit and not removed say thru a relay then they will drain the Caps resonably quickly to within 5V last time I checked.

Not a fan of leaving resistor in all the time as it's creating heat and we want to remove it not make it.!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Not a fan of leaving resistor in all the time as it's creating heat and we want to remove it not make it.!
    I agree with this, I tried it and it's amazing how much heat 3 watts can produce, especially in a control panel size box.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to EddyCurrent For This Useful Post:

Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread Information