. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hello to all,
    i have been reading the various project builds on this site and have decided to take the plunge and build a gantry style router. i have a background in machining/ maintenance/ welding/ m/ building , autocad / inventor etc. i'm hoping to avail of the excellent experiences and know how of the various builders on this site. i will use 80 x 80 x 5 box section for the frame but i'm at a loss for overall dimensions. my cutting area will be 1240 x 1240 ( 1/2 standard sheet ) i will be m/cing wood, polycarbonate and light aluminum from time to time. i will use profile rails , ball screws, nema 23 steppers (3) , provision for a 4th axis and a 2.2 kw spindle. so as stated i would like to know the overall size (out to out) of a machine of a similar nature. i will build it in my garage and want to minimize the space used so if any body has built a similar m/c and could get me up and running with the dims. it would be a great help to get the show on the road. by the way, all my selections so far are based on the excellent advice from the various builders on this site. i will post a sketch as soon as i have dims to get the ball rollin' !!!!

cheers,
    paulro

Not that simple really. Yes I could give you an idea of dimensions but to give accurate dimensions then you'd have to build parts of machine exactly the same as I do. IE: Gantry width , bearing spacing Etc.

Best soultion is to get your Autocad and inventor hat on and get sketching then your accurate dimensions will become clear.

thanks Jazz, i got side tracked and had to change tack for the last week or so. i'm just getting back at the inventor so i should have some dwgs in a day or so.

hi Jazz, i'm looking for dimensions for bearing blocks for 20 mm ballscrews, could you point me in the direction? i have been reading that fixed blocks at both ends is the best option, ya? i have a frame sketched and am starting into the y axis gantry design

Here you go this should help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BK BF.jpg 
Views:	463 
Size:	239.8 KB 
ID:	12649

At last i have an opportunity to get some images of the intended build posted for comment. i have read a lot of material on this forum and tried to include as much advice as possible . i haven't purchased any materials yet even though i'm itching to get started , but taking the advice given to other potential builders from Jazz, Jonathan , among others, i will build the frame first and then once i'm sure of key dims. i will take on the mechanical purchases and build. the gantry images are posted as a reference to my intended build but as always i'm open to suggestions.

the frame size should take a half a standard sheet ( 1220 x 1220 ) built from 80 x 80 box section. 5 mm wall for the top rails and 3 mm for the rest. the adjustable bed ( yellow) will be held in place by graduated 50 mm x 6 mm angle ( green) secured to the frames uprights. the stand alone box section ( blue ) is detachable to allow space for a fourth axis , eventually!!

i have a choice of extrusion for the gantry ( length 1610 mm ) either 100 x 50 , 4.18 kg/m, 120 x 40 , 4.35 kg /m or 120 x 40 , 6.8 kg /m .

the linear slides, 20 mm hiwins , ballscrews 16 mm and aluminum plate for gantry , 20 mm . i haven't any motor specs yet so i didn't finish the z axis assembly . I might use 20 mm linear slides on the z axis ( off cuts from the 2m x rails ) or just purchase 15 mm rails. i will use epoxy to create a plane for both x axis and a permanent bridge for this and the x axis motor to belt drive the twin ball screws, OR use separate motors for each x axis ballscrew. all to be decided with the advice from the experienced builders here, hopefully!!!! i'm also looking for some motor dims, nema 23 , 3nm. they seem to be the weapons of choice for what i'm about to take on , so if any one can point me in a direction for a reputable supplier that has dims i can use to finish the z axis dwgs i would appreciate it. cheers Paulro.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CNC ASSEMBLY.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	361.3 KB 
ID:	12942   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AGNTRY ASSEMBLY 2.jpg 
Views:	356 
Size:	267.1 KB 
ID:	12943   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GANTRY ASSEMBLY.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	324.5 KB 
ID:	12944   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GANTRY SUPPORT.jpg 
Views:	391 
Size:	308.4 KB 
ID:	12945  

Thread Information