. .
    Ive only been using solidcam a few weeks and was using nx for a year before that. On nx if i was doing 2 ops or more on a turned component id have to save an ipw of the previous program so that all the stock left etc was correct. Can i do this on solidcam or can i just adjust the datum/coordinate system and keep working on it all in the same program? i wondered this for milling too ie when something is transferred from the vice to the rotary head.

Does nobody know...?

Hi Eamo,
    Once it's all in the same program then there is no need. The easiest way to visualize this is to write a simple program with, say 2 operations with different datums and co-ordinate systems, then just select the second operation and go to solidverify, the remaining stock will automatically update taking into account the previous operations done on the original stock.
    I'm not familiar with using solidcam for turning but for milling this applies. Test it out with a program is your best bet. Solidverify is excellent for exactly this sort of thing once you have accurately entered your initial stock values.
    Rgds,
    Noel.

Thanks im going to try it this morning. So do i have my mac 1 datum as usual for op 1 then at the other far end of the component i have a mac 2 datum? i tried something similar but the turning tool seemed to come in the wrong way for the second side....ie side I was machining was at the left side of the screen and the tool came in from the left through the chuck jaws.

Just tried it with a mac 2 position on the other end and says "geometry intersects with clamp" when i try and run a facing operation.....

ideally i need step by step instructions on how to do this including where the options are that im selecting. I cant find anything on the net.

Update, ive spoken to an ex work colleague and found that i run solid verify then go to file and save the job as stock to stl. Ive created the second program doing op2 of my turned part and added the stock as the stl I previously saved. Only problem now is the stl stock is the opposite way round onscreen to my component....any ideas?

Thread Information