. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good morning everybody,

I am looking for a routing tool that when cutting doesn't leave a lot of burr.

We're trying to minimize our process of cutting 2mm into a box in order to fit a connector.

Here is what we are currently dealing with:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	600 
Size:	190.9 KB 
ID:	12653

I'd like a suggestion from this site here: http://www.cutwelrouting.co.uk/

Thank you very much,

It's good to be here.

Jordan

Humm,

Do you currently go to depth and then move along the length of the cut (cutting as you go), sweep across the length of the cut or something else?

.Me
    .Me

Yes, that exactly.

The boxes come to us precut, but to fit our connector we need to shave off another 2mm.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SB463 View Post
    Yes, that exactly.

The boxes come to us precut, but to fit our connector we need to shave off another 2mm.

Thanks
    Ok, I’m wondering if you may get a better result sweeping from outside the box to inside and then from inside to outside.

At the moment it looks as though the material is being pushed away from the cutter before it gets a chance to cut it and so leaving that flap of a burr along the length of the cut. If you sweep left to right, right to left across the length of the cut, it may not produce the burr along the length but generate a burr on the proceeding material, but that won’t matter because the next cut will remove that material anyway, possibly leaving you with only a flap of a burr at the start and finish of the cut.

Granted each cut may take a little longer to do but, it may just mean a slightly snugger fit for the connector and if it is to snug that the connector doesn’t quite “fit” right, just extend the length of the cut to compensate the extra burrs at each end, hopefully leaving no requirement to de burr.

I’m assuming that this is being done via cnc of course and so you would basically need to change the tool paths...Just a thought you may like to try before buying a new cutter.

.Me
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 26-06-2014 at 11:39 AM.
    .Me

Excellent, I shall give this a try and report back.

Thank you very much.

No problem I hope it works for you, try and use a cutter with more flutes as well, this may break up the chips and burrs more frequently and so help to leave less of a burr.

.Me
    .Me

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 17 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Good morning everybody,

I am looking for a routing tool that when cutting doesn't leave a lot of burr.

We're trying to minimize our process of cutting 2mm into a box in order to fit a connector.

Here is what we are currently dealing with:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	600 
Size:	190.9 KB 
ID:	12653

I'd like a suggestion from this site here: http://www.cutwelrouting.co.uk/

Thank you very much,

It's good to be here.

Jordan
    It might help if you state what cutter size, flutes feeds and speeds you are using now.

to me it look like you are melting it. ..Clive
    Last edited by Clive S; 26-06-2014 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post
    No problem I hope it works for you, try and use a cutter with more flutes as well, this may break up the chips and burrs more frequently and so help to leave less of a burr.

.Me
    Well I gave it a try but it didn't turn out well but that may be due to the speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    It might help if you state what cutter size, flutes feeds and speeds you are using now.

to me it look like you are melting it. ..Clive
    Let me add that my experience with all this is minimal, I've been dropped with the task now that the operator has left.

But here is the information you need:

Feedrate: 2200mm/min
    Speed: 2000rpm
    Cutter: 6mm Endmill with 2 flutes.

Thanks,

Jordan

Well I gave it a try but it didn't turn out well but that may be due to the speed. Let me add that my experience with all this is minimal, I've been dropped with the task now that the operator has left.
    That's a shame, sorry about that.

My next question was going to be "what speeds and feeds are you using", as pointed out by Clive, it does look like its pushing rather than cutting, I would definitely try slowing the feed down, typically the number of flutes match the number of teeth on the cutter (not always though), if you don’t have a cutter with more teeth on it try raising the rpm as well (you may not need more teeth if you get them there quicker instead), experiment with the above until you find the happy medium.

.Me
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 26-06-2014 at 01:21 PM.
    .Me

What is the name of the plastic exactly that are you trying to cut???

That makes a BIG difference. feed and speed i mean.

Why these expensive bits. I can 100% recommend you these http://www.ebay.es/itm/1-4-3-FLUTE-C...66d1932&_uhb=1

I use them from a lot of time and a lot of time, extremely sharp and durable. And great price. For example outlasts x10 times the similar Freud/3x price/ and is quite sharper.

PS: Looking again at the photo. You need to fix this somehow both sides, even with extremely sharp tool it will vibrate, hence the marks. A clamp or something to strengthen the edge during machining. Fashion some kind of vise fixture.
    Last edited by Boyan Silyavski; 26-06-2014 at 01:55 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Boyan Silyavski For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information