. .
    I came to this forum because I was thinking of a chinese 6040. Learnt that they are not up to serious work, and now requirement creep has set in.

I'm hopeful that there is someone local that will help me build a machine, I've got a name to call. I want to avoid getting too sucked into the building side of things, this is a tool and I have a job to get on and do with it.

What I'd like is a 3 axis router, for use on wood sheet, with a travel of 1200 x 800. I'll also use it for small plastics parts needing up to about 100mm of Z travel.

I don't know what metrics you use here, but the workload could be something like 8000 cm3 of chipboard/mdf per day (About 30mins ?)

So, can you give me an idea of cost?

State your assumptions regarding help I might get from this local chap or from forum members :)

I'm a theoretical engineer (haven't actually touched metal since apprenticeship), a woodworker, a programmer, and I have a (crappy) metalwork lathe.

PS. my same post in RFQ was a mistake, I'd like to blame it on a forum glitch but probably I was just tired.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbowley View Post
    PS. my same post in RFQ was a mistake, I'd like to blame it on a forum glitch but probably I was just tired.
    Lol np, ill get it removed for you.

I'd say about 2k will get you a decent enough machine, tap into other members in the RFQ section and you never no.

.Me
    .Me

I'll assume that everyone agrees with that price. And I'm quite happy with it. So where do I go next?

Do I start a machine build log and ask all my question in there?

Today I've re-thought my business plan, and I'm happy with it. Building my own CNC was possibly yet another delaying tactic I was using to avoid actually building and selling product. My plan was outsource all the cutting and just do the dust free manufacture and assembly myself. But now I've changed the plan to hand cutting the panels using templates and manual router until such time that sales justify building my own cnc router. This means all production is in house which appeals to my nature. And I can start producing now, without having to work through setting up cnc with a supplier.

Jim,

If you decide to build your own the best thing to do is draw up a design of the machine and share it with us so we can advise on it, have a good read of the other threads around the forum, once your happy to start building the machine, then start a build log for all to see :thumsup :

.Me
    .Me

Jim, due to a possible migration to Oz i may be selling my upright 1200x1200x300 (working area 1000x1000) steel framed router if your interested?
    It's unfinished but just need limit switches, a paint and a bed.

Definitely interested. You'd have to post up all the specs for an open discussion of what it's worth and whether it's the best option for me, because I'd be relying a lot on advice from the members here.

Also, I'm thinking about some unique features which might make my machine quite specific. I'm about to post my ideas here, so we'll have to see how it goes.

The build log is here http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/5127-...ittle-project! but there's been a little more progress but haven't had time to post the updates. It's now moving on axis with a 3kw spindle mounted.

OK, here's my first concept. Remember we are talking outline here :)

I'm thinking vacuum bed (never seen one in action, research needed) because the load/unload time is going to be as long as the cutting time probably. How much does that add to the estimate?

A most important question: I want to drill pilot holes too, can I route the profile with a 3mm cutter and use that to drill as well? Or how long does a tool change take? Or should I be going for a separate drilling head? The drilling is always to same depth.

For my flatpack/camlock design it would be handy to do the drilling on 2 edges. So I've added a couple of drills to the gantry uprights. They will drill to a constant depth. How much have I added now to the estimate?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cabinet_flexicab_02_size_CNCROUTER (Large).png 
Views:	229 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	12655

Thread Information