. .

Thread: new member

Hi all

Glad to be here. I'm hoping to learn about all things cnc. I'm a cnc tube bender by trade and run and own a tube bending and fabrication company. So hopefully I've got the technical knowledge to build stuff but now need to learn how to automate things.

The main reason for looking at diy cnc sites is because I'd like a plasma table but I feel the shop bought ones are very over priced. So maybe I'll get the confidence to build my own.

Look forward to delving deep into this site.

Regards

Damian

Hi Damian,

Welcome to the forum!

I won’t get into the pricing of commercial machines today but will say that, the great thing about a plasma based machine (and others) is that the physical/mechanical requirements of the machine isn't really that great in comparison to other types of machine.

I think you probably already know that, but generally the construction of such a machine is pretty straightforward and given the type of business you are in, would find the building of your own machine relatively familiar. Confidence?, meh ! Sounds like you've got enough to get it done, what I’m wondering is if we will see from you a design that makes use of your current tool/skill set and leads to something new/creative via the tube bending that you do, that we haven't seen before?

.Me
    .Me

Hi Lee

Cheers for the reply.

I'm quite sure building the structure would be quite easy for me as I'm lucky enough to have access to all the machines to make that part of the job simple. As for something you've not seen before, well we'll see! My biggest learning curve will be the mechanics to run the axis drive and the electronics to make it work. And then there's the software to learn and how to set the machine. Zeroing etc.

I think I'll spend some time reading others build logs. Maybe I'll start to draw something in inventor. Many of you seem to use solidworks or sketch up. They are not my thing. Auto desk inventor is my design suite so hopefully that will do.

Thanks for the words of support.

Damian

Quote Originally Posted by R2Fab View Post
    My biggest learning curve will be the mechanics to run the axis drive and the electronics to make it work. And then there's the software to learn and how to set the machine. Zeroing etc.

I think I'll spend some time reading others build logs. Maybe I'll start to draw something in inventor. Many of you seem to use solidworks or sketch up. They are not my thing. Auto desk inventor is my design suite so hopefully that will do.

Thanks for the words of support.

Damian
    Cool, it's all fairly straightforward stuff and you should be able to find everything you need around the forums, again the same re software really, unfortunately? it's "homework" time at this point.

Sounds like a plan, we have got a section here: Plasma Table Machine Building for the more relevant stuff, though you will need to explore for the more specific stuff. ADI should be more than enough.

No problem, wish you the best of luck and look forward to seeing your progress !

.Me
    .Me

Cheers

Homework here I come.

Thread Information