. .
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Aahh, all becomes clear.

John S -

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    Better get some air-con...I'm melting.........
    Poke the bat with a sharp stick.................

John S -

Lives in Nottingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11-11-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 176. Referred 1 members to the community.
    Here's me cobbling a wooden hulk of a router together, and everyone's discussing the finer points of water-cooled spindle mounts! lol
    CNC machined of course - this must be what torture is like (only metal-removal tools in this build so far are so far are a hacksaw, and hand/pillar drills)!!

I suppose I can only promise to be creative with this machine when it's finished to make up for this!

While we're talking about water cooling splindle mounts - I think a combination of John's cotter pin design, and Kip's water path with coverplate would be best. I recon fewer risks of water leaks caused by flexing to tighten onto the router.

Thanks for the complement Michael - I think I'm going with a Kress. Only choice is 800 or 1050 - seem to be the same (expensive) price on ebay. Anyone know of any 2nd hand ones going?

OK, a bit of progress. The Y and Z mechanics are finished now. A bit of adjustment will be needed to get the Z exactly perpendicular to the table, but that can wait till leadscrew time. I'm pleased with the way it's turned out - heavy for sure, but no sign of any flexing.

Pics:
    1) Distance shot (can't see the rough edges from back here!)
    2) Close up - (ah yes, there are the rough edges)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5310003.JPG 
Views:	674 
Size:	171.9 KB 
ID:	497   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5310004.JPG 
Views:	937 
Size:	179.1 KB 
ID:	498  

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Thanks for the complement Michael - I think I'm going with a Kress. Only choice is 800 or 1050 - seem to be the same (expensive) price on ebay. Anyone know of any 2nd hand ones going?
    Got two brand new ones here but the old single speed series, could be made to run variable with a light dimmer switch, not sure what model, I think about 750 w
    Need to check tomorrow as it's dark here and that workshop is bloody haunted...........

John S -

Well managed to get a few minutes today free from upsetting customers long enough to do a few water cooled Kress mountings.

I suppose you could call these Waterkress mountings :naughty:

One piece construction with the water going around about 70% of the circle, 6mm push in piping.

Couple more at the back just want scotchbriting as this was the last bit of 25mm thick bar I had and it was a *bit* shop soiled.

John S -

No cross drilling, it's all milled out internally with a 8m cutter down the sides to form 20 mm wide slots and a 14mm cutter at the back.

No idea on pump, just made the mountings to order.

John S -

Close but we use bats. :nope:

John S -

Lives in Nottingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11-11-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 176. Referred 1 members to the community.
    Ladies and gents,

Today I can happily announce the arrival of my leadscrew. :-)
    Which means that very shortly the machine build can re-start. The only components I don't have yet are the power supply (50V and 12A max, probably play it safe with 45V and 8A should be fine), and the router itself....

EMC2 is running and recognising estops and limit switches, so all in all I can't wait to get stuck back in.

But first I've got to go to Poland...
    Back soon I hope...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post

But first I've got to go to Poland...
    Back soon I hope...
    Bring us a chuck back............

John S -

Lots of Poles, stunningly good looking women, and factories in Poland. Sadly I was involved exclusively with the latter...:nope:

Didn't know Poland was famous for chucks either - let me know some manufacturers and I'll do some research (it seems I may have wasted 12kg of my 20kg baggage allowance :naughty:).

Kip cheers for the power supply link. Even including postage that'd come in at the same price as the toroidal transformer alone! (nevermind the cap(s), rectifier, and faff) Cheers!

My finger is hovering over the buy it now button, but I'm a little worried about the voltage. My drivers have an absolute max of 50V, so I was going to play it safe with 45V or so. Those power supplies are trimmable from 50.5V to 56.5V according to the datasheet.

What's the best way to drop 5V or so at 10A? Shall I order something like a 50W power resistor?
    http://docs-europe.electrocomponents...6b8003123a.pdf

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information