. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    For the last 18 months, I've been working on a standalone app to create g-code for woodworking joints. It'll eventually have several types of joints, but I just finished the dovetail portion.
    Just wondering if there's any interest from the members here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6MnVHmr2UY
    Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset

JointCAM - CAM for Woodworking Joints

Looks okay.
    When you say "standalone app", I don't know what that means anymore in light of mobile devices etc., what platform does the app run on ?
    One problem is the length of timber that can be cut, the spindle really needs to hang over the end of the bed to get some height below it.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurrent View Post
    Looks okay.
    When you say "standalone app", I don't know what that means anymore in light of mobile devices etc., what platform does the app run on ?
    It's a windows program, and it runs on Windows XP to Windows 8.1. I've seen two Mach3 wizards for dovetails, but decided that a separate program was a better way to go. It outputs both Mach3 g-code and native Shopbot code. The Mach3 code should run in LinuxCNC as well, as it's pretty basic.

One problem is the length of timber that can be cut, the spindle really needs to hang over the end of the bed to get some height below it.
    Yes, you need a method to mount the workpiece vertically, and the spindle needs to extend out past the workpiece by about the tool diameter. My current machine can't do this, so all my testing is done with short pieces on a fixture I made.
    Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Quote Originally Posted by Ger21 View Post
    For the last 18 months, I've been working on a standalone app to create g-code for woodworking joints. It'll eventually have several types of joints, but I just finished the dovetail portion.
    Just wondering if there's any interest from the members here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6MnVHmr2UY
    Yep i'm up for it Gerry I've played a little in the past with dovetails but would be nice to have program to make life easy. Would be nice not to have to mess around with leigh dovetail jig for one off jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Yep i'm up for it Gerry I've played a little in the past with dovetails but would be nice to have program to make life easy. Would be nice not to have to mess around with leigh dovetail jig for one off jobs.
    I though you only cut aluminum? Or is it aluminium over there??

If you have a fixture on your machine to hold the stock, you can be ready to cut an infinite variety of dovetails in just a few minutes.

I'm currently writing a manual and getting the business end set up, and hope to start offering it for sale in a few more months.
    Last edited by Ger21; 30-06-2014 at 11:40 PM.
    Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Quote Originally Posted by Ger21 View Post
    I though you only cut aluminum? Or is it aluminium over there??

If you have a fixture on your machine to hold the stock, you can be ready to cut an infinite variety of dovetails in just a few minutes.

I'm currently writing a manual and getting the business end set up, and hope to start offering it for sale in a few more months.
    Nope I cut everything from card board to cast iron on it but actually my machine started life as a wood router and was designed from the begining to extend past the bed for cutting hinges into doors and dove tails etc.! . . . . . Not a lot of people know this but my grand father used to work for Robert Thompson (Mouse Man) so I grew up working wood taught by master crafts man and I used to have successful bespoke furniture/Cabinet business . . I just got sick to the back teeth of whinging whining customers so closed shop and changed directions.!

Now I just make dust for my own pleasure and it's great to say No to Ex-customers "You should have thought about that when you whined and tried to screw me into ground on price.!!"

Post when your ready and I'll be along to part with a few beer tokens.!

Gerry,
    like this

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wavey.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	13193
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

That's a very poor joint that I would never recommend. Too much end grain to end grain.

Also, cutting joints like that with a router in solid woods is always problematic, as the wood will tend to chip where the bit exits the cut.
    That's also an issue in the wood joints you PM'd me about. Cutting a lot of those joints in solid wood is very difficult, unless you are starting with an oversized stock in both length and width, to allow trimming off the chipped edges.
    Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset

maybe you could have an area of the machine's bed that you can take a trap slot out and it would allow the timber to go throu. so you can do stuff that is fairly long.
    some sort of clamping system that fixes down to the T slot bed and allows you to clamp timber to be machined.

that does look awesome and would save messing about with dovetail jigs.

nice one ger21

Hi Gerry
    Nice to see it up and running, i would just like to make a comment.
    I use an old Windows XP PC with Firefox Browser, when i go to your site i find it does not fit the size of my screen and i have to scroll left right to read it, don't know if it's a setting on my computer but it is a tad annoying. Other than that great job.
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information