. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi
    Im new to CNC machining and come from a non-electric background , but ive purchased a power supply with connections for only live and neutral wire. Does this mean i wont need my device earthed hence my mains plug has got to only have live and neutral inputs? If so, can i use a spare plug in my house and cut of the earth wire in order to use it?
    Thanks

Got a link to a picture of it ?
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

4. No, you must mount the supply in a metal box with all the rest of the kit, Bob, drivers, etc. The earth wire goes to a good connection on the box so it forms a protective screen around the kit. Do a forum search for 'star point' for more information on how and why. Never ever run cnc kit without an earth.
    Last edited by irving2008; 02-07-2014 at 06:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydeals View Post
    Hi
    Im new to CNC machining and come from a non-electric background , but ive purchased a power supply with connections for only live and neutral wire. Does this mean i wont need my device earthed hence my mains plug has got to only have live and neutral inputs? If so, can i use a spare plug in my house and cut of the earth wire in order to use it?
    Thanks
    The power supply you linked to does not require an earth BUT the case or box that you mount it in will need to be earthed. If you are using this with stepper motors etc. Use screened cables like CY 4 core and connect all the screens at the control box end to a star point (ie one fixed point) and all other earths to that same point including the machine frame, which is then connected to your main earth.
    If you are not happy with wiring 230V then ask for help from somebody that is. ..Clive

Sorry what do you mean by all the screens and how do I connect all the screens from the control box end to one point. Do I have to use a certain cable?

Quote Originally Posted by Skydeals View Post
    Sorry what do you mean by all the screens and how do I connect all the screens from the control box end to one point. Do I have to use a certain cable?
    I think it might be better if you state exactly what you are trying to achieve. The certain type of cable is CY 4 core you can Google it . What are you using the power supply for? Pictures!! ..Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    I think it might be better if you state exactly what you are trying to achieve. The certain type of cable is CY 4 core you can Google it . What are you using the power supply for? Pictures!! ..Clive
    Ok you''ll have to help me out here. I appreciate your time. Ive not got pictures so ive added links to the parts. Im using the power supply to power 3 drivers , the
    link for the drivers is (http://www.leadshine.com/UploadFile/Down/DM442m.pdf). For the connection from power supply to driver, ill be using the wires from maplin (see link below)
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/twin-core-...er-metre-xs71n

For the drivers to motors ill be using the cy 4 cable from zapp automation (http://www.zappautomation.co.uk/elec...-cy-cable.html)

Im not sure of the wire to use between my ZP5A- int BOB and driver, and whether this has to be grounded in between the connections.

I havent bought the cy 4 cable yet but i was wondering if all of them come with a wire which is used as ground as well as the 4 wires for driver to motor connection. If so do i connect all the ground wires at the driver end (between driver and motor) to the star point. Am i alright right in the choice of

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Ok you''ll have to help me out here. I appreciate your time. Ive not got pictures so ive added links to the parts. Im using the power supply to power 3 drivers , the
    link for the drivers is (http://www.leadshine.com/UploadFile/Down/DM442m.pdf). For the connection from power supplu to driver, ill be using the wires from maplin (see link below)
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/twin-core-...er-metre-xs71n

For the drivers to motors ill be using the cy 4 cable from zapp automation (http://www.zappautomation.co.uk/elec...-cy-cable.html)

Im not sure of the wire to use between my ZP5A- int BOB and driver, and whether this has to be grounded in between the connections.

I havent bought the cy 4 cable yet but i was wondering if all of them come with a wire which is used as ground as well as the 4 wires for driver to motor connection. If so do i connect all the ground wires at the driver end (between driver and motor) to the star point. Am i alright right in the choice of wires chosen and could you advise me on wire between BOB and driver.
    Thank you very much!

Skydeals What steppers are you using?
    ""I havent bought the cy 4 cable yet but i was wondering if all of them come with a wire which is used as ground as well as the 4 wires for driver to motor connection. If so do i connect all the ground wires at the driver end (between driver and motor) to the star point. Am i alright right in the choice of wires chosen and could you advise me on wire between BOB and driver.""
    You need 4 core cy cable I use 1mm but some use 1.5mm the screens (braid) of the cy cable are all connected together at the star point at the motor end the cy cable screen is just insulated ( not connected).
    I use cat 5 cable between the BOB and driver (twisted pairs) ..Clive
    Last edited by Clive S; 04-07-2014 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Added text

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information