. .
    Hi,

I am looking to CNC a small mill and have been looking at the products from DIY CNC and Routout CNC. Does anybody have any user feedback on either product? A search brought nothing up.

Thanks

I'v posted up a little review of the routout drivers as i have used them for my first machine, a mate of mine is also using them as we speak. I cant see any problems with them, other then what kip said about the driver chips used on the routout drivers.

The driver chip used shouldnt be a problem if you get everything wired up right, i did blow one of mine tho so it can be done. The DIYCNC drivers sell quite well and they are cheap to and you get good support from Roy, they use the Allegro chip you can get them from places like RS and a few others so not to bad if they do go pop but again its going to be down to user error i think.

Other then that the MSD range of drivers from Zapp Automation or myself or even MCP would be a good chice, the MSD range do cost a little more but they are VERY nice drivers and if you go for anything above the MSD542's they come with build in fuse's as well.

[ame="http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41"]RoutOut CNC 3 Axis Driver Kit[/ame]

Routoutcnc driver says good bye

Another note on the DIYCNC drivers would be that you cang et those as a kit with the driver chip already on the cards so that brings the cost down as well.
    .Me

Thanks Lee, most informative! I also looked at the Gecko G540 but the difference in price is hard to justify for a hobby machine. If I was in business trying to squeeze the last bit of speed out it would be a different matter...

Cheers.

Are you in the UK or USA Hog?

I think the Gecko have quite a big following, they are really small units as well in terms of size, check this pic out: http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276 There is also a link to some information on the unit over at cnczone.

Last edited by Lee Roberts; 30-01-2014 at 03:17 PM.
    .Me

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post
    Are you in the UK or USA Hog?
    Neither...... France!

Thanks for the Gecko info. I have also seen the postings on CNCzone, but still consider them too pricey for hobby use.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogout View Post
    Hi,

I am looking to CNC a small mill and have been looking at the products from DIY CNC and Routout CNC. Does anybody have any user feedback on either product? A search brought nothing up.

Thanks
    Hi Hogout.

I have had 2 DIYCNC BOB's and a DIYCNC relay board. All have been very high quality. Roy gives really good support too. I've just bought the Uniport, buffered outputs for the drivers and 3 onboard relays plus opto isolated inputs. You can't go wrong IMO.

Gary at Zapp also stocks the same boards and you can't fault him either, in fact you can contact him on this forum.

Welacome to the forum BTW

Jeff.
    Nothing is foolproof......to a sufficiently talented fool!

I bought one of Roy's DIYCNC boards earlier this year - the System 3+
    I bought it as a package with the cheapest nema23 motors.

The kit was easy to solder, and except for me not completely soldering in one of the resistor networks, worked first time. It was a doddle to set up and hasn't put a foot wrong.
    I'm running all three axes at 1.5A, 1/8 step.

K.

Thanks Jeff & Korky, that's really useful!!

Cheers.

Thread Information