. .

Thread: The Big Screw

Gentlemen...

The time has come for a new build, as Im still in the design phase, I thought it would be prudent to seek some constructive critisism and I can think of no better place than here.

This time, having made mistakes before, I know my requirements to begin with

The machine will mainly be used for cutting 6mm foamex, with a 3mm cutter. On occasion it may dabble with a bit thicker foamex with more passes, and maybe a bit of ply & mdf. But not metal.

Although I havent totally ruled out Rack and Pinion, yet. Its fairly likely it will use ballscrews (twin 2510 flavour) on the X and single 1610 on the Y, because of the length of the X, (3000mm) I intend to go down the spinning ballnut route.

At present, I have drawn an attempt at a base.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.png 
Views:	207 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	12735

Name:	2.png 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	12736

Name:	3.png 
Views:	210 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	12737

Name:	4.png 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	12738

Name:	5.png 
Views:	198 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	12739

Experience has taught me, Jazz's (bolt and shim) approach, is much more accurate, especially for a machine of this size. Which I have incorporated into the design.

The overhang is at the back of the machine, to facilitate sufficient cutting area (2440x1220)

The frame will be made from 60x60x4 and 60x100x4 Steel Box Section

I intend to use the same L shaped Aluminium Gantry I used on my other machines

Lets kick it off with that before I draw too much more....
    Last edited by kingcreaky; 08-07-2014 at 07:26 AM.

No replies... obviously a flawless design.

hi

i think everyones just busy at the mo.

looks ok, nice and strong, maybe consider more brace on the horizontal of the X, to take any vibrations from the spinning ball screw.

Wait till you post up the gantry design, then you will be overloaded with opinions, just keep considering any whip on the ballscrew becuase of the lenght of the table.

King forums all over the net go quite at this time of year...something to do with summer time apparently...

Would brace it on the sides and underneath, dunno if I'd bother with plates on the ends of the box section, straight weld should hold it ?

.Me
    .Me

Lifes not easy at minute so no enthusiasm or time to play or respond but I'll give a little input.!! . . . I would make the base in 3 or 4 main sections that span from side to side then connect with diagonal braces for strength. Sit the long rail beams on these then have supports for the bed between the beams.

Thread Information