. .

Thread: Reducing costs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by tonygagey View Post
    anyone know were I can get nema 23 mounts from that wont take 6 weeks or cost a small fortune !
    Are you planning to use belt drive or a direct coupling design ?
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Direct drive
    Happy are they who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to see them come true.

To ensure accuracy I am having the plans made as a pattern laser cut in 2mm steel. Expensive but I think it will be worth it !
    WHAT.!! . . . Are you for real.! Your going to waste money laser cutting steel templates to build a machine made from PAPER.!!

For the price of the laser cutting/templates you could buy all the steel needed to build the frame and have 50X stronger machine. Bolt it together if you cant weld or have someone weld it for you.

Also can I just say you are going about this all wrong regards the electronics. Roy's stuff is ok but it's more suited to smaller machines like Mills not routers. This is because the drives are low voltage with a Max of 40Vdc I believe. Routers run much higher feed rates than mills so we need more speed from the motors and steppers get there speed from volts. 40V max drives will be restrictive to a router machine unless you use a high pitch ball or lead screw and this will lower resolution so your getting a unbalanced machine.

Trying to cut costs on electronics is asking for trouble and never ends well.!!

Got motors etc from roy today, anyone know were I can get nema 23 mounts from that wont take 6 weeks or cost a small fortune !
    http://www.cnc4you.co.uk/index.php?r...product_id=445

Or you could make one from a piece of box section.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 13-08-2014 at 09:34 AM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Forgive my ignorance as I am new to cnc ,well , that is ithas taken me 6 years toget tothe pointwere I have bough nearly all the stuff I need.
    And I was unaware that geting a steel carcase made up to order was going to cost me less than £145 , which is what it is costing me to get the cad files laser cut and laminating them to the 18mm birch ply.
    But I am already committed to the system 4 set as that was here yesterday, and quite frankly was more than I could really afford, so I'm stuck with that, besides the machime won't be cuting anything harder than 18mm ply and mostly foam and wax patterns for castings in resin , aluminium, brass and hopefully in time bronze!
    Happy are they who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to see them come true.

To be honest with myself I'm building the bloody machine to prove I can.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Are you for real.!

Also can I just say you are going about this all wrong regards the electronics. Roy's stuff is ok but it's more suited to smaller machines like Mills not routers. This is because the drives are low voltage with a Max of 40Vdc I believe. Routers run much higher feed rates than mills so we need more speed from the motors and steppers get there speed from volts. 40V max drives will be restrictive to a router machine unless you use a high pitch ball or lead screw and this will lower resolution so your getting a unbalanced machine.

Trying to cut costs on electronics is asking for trouble and never ends well.!!
    It's not all about speed!!! From many years experience working Roy's 40Vdc drives I am on 1405 screws round supported rails, I profile 12 to 20mm aluminum with DOC of 2 to 3mm with great success also 2.5D relief's in aluminum & stone with DOC up to 4mm so I don't understand how you come to say "you would have an unbalanced machine" just not so there is no problem with Roy's drives.
    For what the OP wants System 4 is a great system to use.

usual disclaimer only a very satisfied user.

Phill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information