. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi
    I’ve been thru various programs looking at them all; they have only been the demo programs.

What I would like to know is what programs you use to design in?

I don’t want a program that I can use to design 2d parts as I’m happy with cut 2d for now from vectric in the UK.

What I would like to do is “put” all the parts I have designed together as one machine in the software like I’ve seen you guys doing.

This is what I would like to do:

Could you be so kind as to point me in the right direction please?

Thanks,
    Lee
    .Me

2. Solidworks is one of the best albeit at an horrendous price (be a pirate or pretend to be a student ? ).

That picture looks like it sketch-up, probably the pro/paid-for version (The free version of sketch-up is too limited - in my view).

3. Solid works is what to use.
    I also have a few tutorial dvds as well, if you need a copy ;)

Hi Gary, sorry but I simply can’t afford soildworks.
    .Me

Lives in Swansea, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 22-05-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 61. Received thanks 10 times, giving thanks to others 9 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by BillTodd View Post
    Solidworks is one of the best albeit at an horrendous price (be a pirate or pretend to be a student ? ).

That picture looks like it sketch-up, probably the pro/paid-for version (The free version of sketch-up is too limited - in my view).
    I wrote a free plugin that gives you DXF and STL output from the free version of Sketchup,
    http://www.guitar-list.com/download-...les-dxf-or-stl

Nathan

Lives in Nottingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11-11-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 176. Referred 1 members to the community.
    What I would like to know is what programs you use to design in?
    Lee, very flattered that you picked the image of my router!

I use the free version of Google Sketchup. Sketchup is a great! It's not engineering software, but you can change the default accuracy from 1mm to 0.01mm which helps. It's amazing for free! :-)

"Components" are the best. Every copy of a component in the model will change when you edit just one of them. Want to add a chamfer to a bearing that appears 50 times in your model? 60seconds of work! :-)

I wrote a free plugin that gives you DXF and STL output from the free version of Sketchup,
    Nathan - THANKYOU so much for the sketchup plugin. I was about to start learning to use the emachineshop CAD program to generate dxf files, but no need now! I'll install it and have a play at the weekend...

Cheers!

7. I use the free version of Google Sketchup
    Congratulations :)

When I last played with the freeby version of sketch-up I couldn't find a way to directly enter dimensions (so soon got fed up trying to make the object a known size). Has the latest version some means of entering sizes directly?

Lives in Nottingham, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11-11-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 176. Referred 1 members to the community.
    Yep,

Draw a line (clicking on the end point as well as the start), then type the length you want, hit return and the line will re-size itself. Same works with a rectangle, but use a comma between the axes.

I usually make the initial line / rectangle obviously wrong so that I can see that the dimensions have definitely moved.

Thanks Tom i will go and download these as soon as i'v got done here, 40 new posts in half a day. The sites coming along great !
    .Me

Alibre do a free 3D modeller called Express.
    It's a cut down version of their paid version with some features missing.
    Main limitation is you can only assemble a limited amount of components,
    Hint save three or 4 components to a new file and it's then treated as one.

Not bad for free.

John S.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information