. .
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    My BoB is powered by a seperate Transformer which has a duel out put of 5 v0lt and 36 volt
    Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    I don't know your BOB but you have to power it from somewhere I and others are assuming it is powered from a 5V source if it is powered from 12V then you can use that to drive your sensors.
    Can you confirm what the BOB is powered from? ..Clive
    Last edited by manofgresley; 17-07-2014 at 06:21 PM.

That BoB, I believe is powered either from the USB lead or a separate 5v input. There will be a switch on the board or a jumper to select which. The BoB doesn't put 5v out AFAIK.

You are correct, it is powered by a seperat Transformer, does this mean i can use sensors with higher than 5 volt?

Ray
    Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    That BoB, I believe is powered either from the USB lead or a separate 5v input. There will be a switch on the board or a jumper to select which. The BoB doesn't put 5v out AFAIK.
    Last edited by manofgresley; 17-07-2014 at 08:57 PM.

4. Yes, as long as they switch to ground and don't have an internal pullup. You can check this by measuring the voltage between the black and blue wires when they are powered up. If it's always zero or there abouts then you can without any other parts. If there is volts then you need a resistor between the black wire and the Bob.

Ray,
    Take a deep breath, chill out, and read the info posted so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    You really need a 12V or 24V power supply to work but they can still be connected to your BOB, power supplies are not expensive. ..Clive
    Quote Originally Posted by manofgresley View Post
    I do have both power supplies in my CNC cabinet, so can i refresh
    Just wire them like the drawing I posted and that's the job done.

Edit: posted after supping 3 bottles of Grassmoor Dark Ale.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 18-07-2014 at 10:13 AM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Here you go ray this might help. (Provided Switch can use 36V)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prox.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	12832

Don't put the switches in middle because if your on wrong side of switch when you click home then mach will never see the switch.
    Mach only homes in the direction set in it's parameters IE Home NEG or Home Positive direction. So lets say you always home Negative but your already on the negative side of the switch then Mach will never see the switch and crash the limits. If you position the switches at the ends of travel then Mach will always see the switch.
    Now you can still have your ZERO home position in the centre of table just you use MACH's HOME OFF(set) feature and define ZERO a set distance away from the switch. Mach will enter this amount into it's DRO so now your MACHINE coordinates will display a Negative number and when you send to Zero the table will go to the centre of travel which is MACHINE ZERO.
    MACHINE ZERO won't be at the ends where table stops but the MACHINE ZERO coordinate will be in the centre of travel and all WORK coordiantes will be Referenced from this position so it works just like has if the switch was in centre.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 17-07-2014 at 10:07 PM.

7. Ray,

Eddy, Jazz and myself have all said the same thing, and any supply to the switch between 10 and 36 volts will work.

The only reason I'm being slightly pedantic and suggesting you do some basic voltage checks is to avoid any issues or disappointment. Chinese supplied products can vary in subtle ways especially stuff on ebay. That switch comes in 2 variants. One is truly just a switch to ground and that's what you need. The other version has an internal pull-up resistor to the +v supply and if it's that version then there is a chance you could damage the BOB if you don't have a resistor between switch and input. All I'm saying is do the electrical equivalent of 'measure twice, cut once' :)

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Ray This is why I posted
    Just a thought although all of the above is correct are we assuming that the sensor has a resistor built in of say about 10K If not would it be prudent to put a current limiting R in.. My sensors have 10K internal so not needed.
    It truly is not that difficult just buy the switches and play with one of them not connected to the BOB and see it working. You need to mount them as has been said so that the target slides across the top and not head on so to speak. ..Clive

Ray,
    I got these from your earlier threads;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnc1.JPG 
Views:	261 
Size:	934.4 KB 
ID:	12837 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide1.JPG 
Views:	229 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	12838 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Control Cabinet Front Interior.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	188.9 KB 
ID:	12839

It looks like your power supply is this one;
    http://www.zappautomation.co.uk/elec...-supply-7.html

You are using the 36v to power the steppers and the 5v to power the breakout board, you also have a 24v supply in there for the Pilz ?
    Because the 36v is used for the steppers I would suggest not using that for the proximity switches as it could contain a lot of electrical noise, instead I would use the 24v supply provided it is DC and not AC.

Also, off topic, have you cut any of those nuts yet ? what tooling do you intend to use for a 9 gauge string slot ?
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 18-07-2014 at 10:17 AM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

This is maybe a daft question, but do not see a 24v supply for the PILZ unless it is that box to the left of it on the DIN rail.
    What do these safety relays do that makes them cost £360? I can see a 4 pole contactor, which is presumably 3 phases and aux and I also presume there is some sort of RCCB and E-stop interface. If you are not running 3-phase, then it seems an overkill ('scuse the ironic pun).
    An RCCB a break switch and NVR switch in series, would seem all that is needed for a good level of safety on single phase 240v.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information