Thread: Plcm-e4

I'm currently trying to decide what motion controller/BOB combo I'm going to use for my new router build.
    I'm going with 3 axis, dual stepper on x-axis, so I need slaving and at least one extra axis to add a 3d printer addon (I know, not the best 3d printer).

I can't really decide what to get at the moment, probably leaning toward either an ESS + some random BOB or a PLCM-E3 with some BOB (currently undecided). ESS is hard to get in EU though.
    Lo and behold, I then stumble upon a board called PLCM-E4 on purelogics site. It appears to be a slightly slimmed down version of the E3, but with a BOB integrated.
    http://www.purelogic.ru/files/downlo...er/PLCM-E4.pdf + google translate works pretty good.

What do you think? Should I send an email to Purelogic, see if I can buy it?

Or, should I get a PLCM-E3, if so what BOB should I get?
    http://www.zappautomation.co.uk/elec...out-board.html looks like it's both the B1 bob and an E3 if I go by the pictures and the price tag, but the description is rather vague. Does this include the E3?

I realise this is a bit of a ramble, but I'm rather confused at the moment, trying to decide what to get. Cost is a bit of a concern, and I wouldn't want to spend as much on a bob as I do on the motion controller as it seems like some people do.

Any tips?
    Last edited by Tumblebeer; 13-07-2014 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tumblebeer View Post
    I realise this is a bit of a ramble, but I'm rather confused at the moment, trying to decide what to get. Cost is a bit of a concern, and I wouldn't want to spend as much on a bob as I do on the motion controller as it seems like some people do.

Any tips?
    Don't short cut the BOB esp with a Motion control card. BOB's are the single biggest bottleneck and pain in the arse if poor quality.

I'd enquire about the E4 but got a feeling it's still in R&D.

The B1 is just a BOB but it's designed to take full advantage of the E3 and allows full use of all the I/O. It's essentially 2 Bob's in one with PWM spindle control.
    If you don't need all the I/O the E3 provides then you can get away with just using the PLC6x or the PLC4x-G2. The G2 provides PWM spindle control the 6x doesn't.

If your going for the ESS then I'd strongly suggest you go for the PMDX126.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 13-07-2014 at 09:31 PM.

I was getting a bit confused about this as well, when I was looking at the Zapp site earlier (and especially as I haven't found decent English documentation for these devices). Thanks for the additional info.
    One more question, though - when these boards talk about PWM spindle speed control, I am assuming that they have some kind of PWM->true analogue converter on board, which takes a PWM speed signal from Mach3 and gives a 0-10V (usually) signal that connects directly to the VFD. Is that right? Nothing else needed for Mach3 spindle speed control?

- Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    Nothing else needed for Mach3 spindle speed control?
    Yep that's correct just set mach3 to output PWM and away you go.!