. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post
    Sorry Nick, it is this thread, I just couldn't be bothered to add the logical progression that makes sense of it. I have tried but nobody here programs computers so they cannot escape the limitations of using MACH and G-Code.
    Robin,
    I think it's worth expanding your reply. I cut my teeth on Z80 Assembler and progressed to PLC Ladder Logic & Statement List, VB, SQL, Crystal Reports, etc. and you've lost me.
    Any "Limitations" of Mach3 and G-Code (and I've not found them yet) are far outweighed by the capability provided by an affordable CAD/CAM system coupled with Mach3 -
    -
    [/URL]
    -
    [/URL]
    -
    [/URL]
    ?????
    Last edited by magicniner; 16-08-2014 at 01:11 PM.

The stamp does this in hot steel -
    -

-
    It's about 8mm high ;-)
    Last edited by magicniner; 16-08-2014 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Robin, I think it's worth expanding your reply. I cut my teeth on Z80 Assembler and progressed to PLC Ladder Logic & Statement List, VB, SQL, Crystal Reports, etc. and you've lost me.

You say "etc." before you say "Visual Studio". Windows is event driven and will never guarantee to return control to you in time to step the motors. The moment you give in and add a separate processor to sort out the timing problems MACH becomes a totally redundant unnecessary burden and you may as well run Win8, check your e-mails and have a Shoot'em'up game running in the background to while away the time while it cuts.

I don't think I want to criticize MACH here too much, look what happened to the bloke in the news today, the one who accepted a Gaza appeal to be published in the Jewish Chronicle.

You say "etc." before you say "Visual Studio". Windows is event driven and will never guarantee to return control to you in time to step the motors.
    That was my biggest hurdle when moving from DOS programming to Windows, instead of main() running in a continuous loop, it just had to sit there until there was an event.
    Will Windows interrupts be too slow ?
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 16-08-2014 at 03:09 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Windows will not let you take over a timer interrupt, you can hook into a 1kHz system tick but that isn't fast enough. This came to a head when Windows could no longer guarantee to service a serial interrupt in time to stop an over-write with only one level of buffer, they needed 16.

You say "etc." before you say "Visual Studio". Windows is event driven and will never guarantee to return control to you in time to step the motors. The moment you give in and add a separate processor to sort out the timing problems MACH becomes a totally redundant unnecessary burden and you may as well run Win8, check your e-mails and have a Shoot'em'up game running in the background to while away the time while it cuts.

I don't think I want to criticize MACH here too much, look what happened to the bloke in the news today, the one who accepted a Gaza appeal to be published in the Jewish Chronicle.
    Brilliantly put whilst totally avoiding the perfect opportunity to identify your "personally programmed" alternative where you haven't given up hardware control to Windows. You are signally failing to make a point here.
    I'm really intrigued, what system are you using? How much percentage wise and specifically which bits are your own code?
    If it turns out that this is an OS bias debate then I'll laugh my socks off as all that really matters is how quick and easy a system is to get running reliably, what the software support is like and what results it produces ;-)

Not sure I understood too much of that. The system I am using is Win7, it is 100% my own code and it certainly does not run reliably

Robin, this DOS based any use ?

http://www.dakeng.com/turbo.html
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Lives in LaGrange, GA USA, United States. Last Activity: 44 Minutes Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 78. Received thanks 10 times, giving thanks to others 2 times.
    I'm not Robin, but Turbocnc is my controller of choice. I have been using it since about 2000. I used it for quite a while before I registered it. It is fully functional when you download it. Registration gives you access to the source code so you can make your own changes. It is written in pascal and compilers are available as freeware. Doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, but it gets the job done and as far as I am concerned, it does it quite well.
    Art

AKA Country Bubba
    (Older than Dirt)

Windows will not let you take over a timer interrupt,
    Unless you take over windows.!!. . . . Tell Art fennerty it can't be done.! . . . . .The Boffin's said Mach3 could never be done but Hey presto.. .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information