. .
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
    5mm distance from the hard stop will function fine as the motors stop very quickly. If it was a home switch you might want a bit more as the machine over travels a bit.
    Only thing to think about is if you can get your finger trapped.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

2. The Following User Says Thank You to routercnc For This Useful Post:

So I had some issues with my AXBB charge pump output but that has now been resolved thanks to some helpful people on here .
    This means that I have finally been able to make some movement on my machine however I'm not entirely happy with it.
    What kind of rapid speeds would you expect on nema 23 and 70v driver/psu?
    I may have to go for twin motors on the X axis or a higher power nema 34 as that seems to bind if I go above 12000 units per minute(I am running at 10000 to be safe) whereas y axis goes upto 17000 units before binding(running at 14000). The z axis is only around 8000 but I assume that's because of the ballscrew pitch.
    Anyway, it's looking promising but there may be room for improvement.

The y axis is smooth one way but seems to have a judder when rapid in the opposite direction...any ideas?

The X axis sounds gratey in both directions ! I'm thinking it may be sounding worse because it runs on the steel box section and that may be amplifying the sound?

https://youtu.be/Jv9x7rc4N-8

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CharlieRam; 08-09-2019 at 08:26 AM.

Hi Charlie, don't know anything about your setup so might be way off here.
    If you are using a Single nema23 with 70v to drive 2 x 10mm pitch screws then you're doing well to get 10M/min. Or if you're using single Nema34 with only 70V you still won't get much more than 10Mtr/min. You'll need more Volts for Nema34 to get higher rpm.

Now 2 x 23 will get you little more speed but my question would be WHY.? You can't cut many materials higher than 10mtr/min, woods etc will be much lower feeds and the machine isn't massive so 10mtr/min rapids will still get you end to end quick enough.

Hmm...well I suppose the need for speed is more down to seeing the rapids from the machines at work! Yes I know they cost more like 1 mill each but y'know
    I suppose the real answer is I'd of liked the X and Z to run at the same speed....not a deal breaker and maybe in the future ill upgrade the X axis but I'm happy with it for now. I tweaked the speeds and acceleration values today and it's a pretty speedy little thing soon be making a cut.

Last edited by CharlieRam; 08-09-2019 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieRam View Post
    I suppose the real answer is I'd of liked the X and Z to run at the same speed...
    Doesn't really matter because if both axis are moving together the feed will be calculated so they both arrive at the same time so you are unlikely to hit the max velocity anyway.

Long time no post so I'd like to thank you all for your help during this build and give a little update. I decided to upgrade the x axis to use a slave drive, firstly just to get a little more speed from it but secondly because the length of the single belt worried me a little! I managed to blow the charge pump output on my AXBB twice but I have since repaired it and had no issues since. I have done a few test cuts and am quite happy with it so far although I have noticed that the x axis motors resonate quite badly on low revs. The drives are set identically to the Y and Z with the only difference being it has both X and A slaved. Any ideas? Also I'd like to wire up the fault output on the drives and am a little unsure of how to do it

Here's a linl to a youtube vid pf the machine doing a bit of the carving below

https://youtu.be/71zmWimvsMc

Thanks again...i couldn't of got this far without your help stay safe everyone.

Congratulations on completing your machine - having just read through your complete build log, I was at many points not expecting it to end with this triumphant post!

I hope you would consider entering your machine details here. Hopefully someone more experienced will be along to answer your questions. As soneone plotting their own build, always keen to hear reflections and lessons from those who have made it through.
    Best wishes
    Andrew

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread Information